Author Topic: Newbie Question from Newbee  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Newbee

Newbie Question from Newbee
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:46:51 pm »
I've got some questions about my hive. It's my first hive, from BetterBee.com w/ the hive-top feeder (feeder is the white rectangle under the top cover in the pic, there is a chute on the underside that gives the bee's access to the sugar water).

A package of 3 lbs. Italian bee's w/ a marked queen were installed 1 week ago.

It has 2x 10-frame deep's and 2 medium supers. I set it up w/ the 2 deeps initially.

https://postimg.cc/image/lrd2inihr/

I put all 10-frames inside the bottom deep, and 1 frame in the upper deep when I installed the package (leaving myself room for the queen cage, feeding can, etc. on top of the frames in the bottom deep). Popped the cork on the queen cage, dumped in the bee's, and slapped the cover on it.

When I first setup the hive, I had the bottom board upside down and backwards. The entrance reducer was not fitting well either (but I was nervous and anxious about all the bee's swarming about). So on Tues. I took a peek at the hive and fixed the issue w/ the bottom board and entrance reducer. The bee's were using the hive top feeder (chute was entirely filled w/ bee's), but the bee's were huddled in the upper corner of the deep on top (empty but for 1 frame). It looked like a swarm inside the hive, none were flying outside (guessing they were all surrounding the queen to keep her warm? It was a cold windy day).

I fixed the bottom board and entrance reducer, topped up the sugar water and left them be.

Today I peeked at the bee's again. Weather was nice, and the bee's were coming and going. A yellow-ish white pollen was visible on some of the one's returning. The feeder and chute were filled, and starting to get some comb? I lifted the feeder off the top and the bee's were visible in the open area's of the topmost deep. I couldn't tell if there were any bee's down below in the frames in the 1st deep (didn't open it that much, just lifted the edge a little).

I'm concerned that the bee's appear to be inhabiting the open area's of the hive, and aren't moving down into the frames. I'd like to do a proper inspection (e.g. pull frames and locate the queen), and fill the upper deep w/ frames, but not sure if that's the right course of action? Would I be better off removing the 2nd deep, to force them into the 1st deep, and then add the 2nd deep on again in a few weeks? Or am I being a nervous Neddy, and let the bee's do as the bee's please? I know it's too early to put on the excluder and the supers. Right now we have a lot of tree pollen in the area. Some flowering shrubs, and my apple tree's are blooming very nearby. Bee's appear to be leaving/coming in all directions, so not sure where they're getting the pollen, but it's clearly visible on the one's coming back in (some landing short of the entrance, resting, then going into the hive). There's even signs of some honey-ish looking stuff in some of the comb I can see through the plexi-glass in the feeder?!

Thanks for the advice.

- Kevin

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Newbie Question from Newbee
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »
If I understand correctly, your hive configuration is, from the bottom up, bottom board with entrance reducer, 10 frame deep with 10 undrawn frames, 10 frame deep with 1 undrawn frame and the can of syrup from the package, top feeder, outer cover.  If that's the case I'd remove the top deep and single frame.  You can use the canned syrup by pouring it into your top feeder.  Fun isn't it?  Ted

When the bees get 8 of the bottom 10 frames drawn out add the second deep.
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »
If I understand correctly, your hive configuration is, from the bottom up, bottom board with entrance reducer, 10 frame deep with 10 undrawn frames, 10 frame deep with 1 undrawn frame and the can of syrup from the package, top feeder, outer cover.  If that's the case I'd remove the top deep and single frame.  You can use the canned syrup by pouring it into your top feeder.  Fun isn't it?  Ted

When the bees get 8 of the bottom 10 frames drawn out add the second deep.
Yup, its what I would do.  With the reducer showing the smallest entrance to slow robbing pressure.
Lee_Burough

Offline vvand111

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:15:50 pm »
All above. You only need 1 deep to start. When the girls build out the first 7 to 8 frames then your would add another deep.  if you need info on how to back off of where you have come ask. Most of the guys on this forum can help you with that.

( it seems like you already have 2 deeps before it is time to have 2 deeps)

It is ok. Better to ask on this forum than make the mistakes and ask later. These guys and gals are really good

I will leave it at that but you need to get down to 1 deep in order to start managing your hive at this early stage..

Others will give you better and more experienced repossesses than I and I will learn from those as well.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:16 pm »
What they said and I would add that too much room is an invitation for SHB. Too much space for the bees to police.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 12:05:06 am »
kevin,
i inserted your picture of your hive configuration into your post...........

as others have mentioned, with package bees you need to be down to one deep. 
if the bees are all in the top deep, you want this deep on the bottom.  remove your feeder and outer cover, set it aside upside down,  remove the top deep and set it on top of your outer cover, remove the bottom deep set it aside (if you have an extra outer cover, use that to set it in/on); set the top deep down on your bottom board.  brush or shake any bees from the deep that was on the bottom into what was your top deep that is now on your bottom board, and remove it completely. be careful and mindful of where the queen might be. *use a smoker if need be.  don't be afraid of bees in the air. take your time, don't rush.

as ted mentioned, do not add the 2nd deep until about 7 or 8 frames are drawn and filled in your first deep.  the center frames will be primarily brood, (the queens laying space) and honey and pollen frames on the outside.

as far as the bottom board being upside down, there are two usable 'opening's' to a bottom board.  i normally use the side with the widest opening. with package bees the smaller side of the bottom board and an entrance reducer is a good decision to use when starting bees.

good luck, and congratulations!

* using a smoker, if the bees are all congregated in the top deep, do not use a smoker to drive them down into the first deep if it is empty.....just take the box with all or the majority of the bees and set in on your bottom board, shake any other bees into it....
hope this makes sense.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Newbee

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 07:54:07 am »
Thanks so much for the replies and advice!
Not to sound obtuse, but would it be easier to remove the upper/empty deep (w/ 1 frame), and just shake the bee's down into the 1st one since its filled w/ all 10 frames already? Then put the feeder and outer cover on-top of the lower hive body? I'm worried about wild comb being in the upper hive-body and trying to shoe-horn the frames in there. FWIW, the frames all have plastic foundation that was wax-coated (from betterbee).
I've had some trouble squishing bee's trying to put the feeder back on.... One reason I just lift the corner and peek inside. Is there a trick to keeping them inside when opening up? They come bubbling out like crazy as soon as I crack it open! If there are any remaining bee's in the hive body I'm removing, can I just place the body outside the entrance and let them work their way back in?
Weather's supposed to be 70's and sunny today, with luck I'll be able to coerce Slowmodem into coming by to help me w/ a proper inspection, and we'll make these configuration changes then.

Thanks again!

- Kevin

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 03:46:04 pm »
Newb,
 the only trick I know is to puff some smoke in the crack as soon as open, then close up for a minute or so. They will usually set off a roar as soon as you smoke em, then settle out. That's when you pull the top immediately followed by more smoke. Some will still come out but not as bad.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Newbee

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »
Thanks Neil, I"ll give that a try.
Slowmodem stopped out today and helped me. We fired up the smoker for the first time today, it helped quite a bit.
There was quite a bit of wild comb inside hanging from the feeder into the open-space of the 2nd hive body. We knocked that free and removed the second hive-body. Picked through the comb and knocked the bee's into the frames.Found the queen! She's still in there. Lots of pollen coming in and a little bit of honey. They had started drawing comb on the frames, so we just closed it up and let them be. Quite a bit of activity in there now, they seem to be doing well.

Thanks again for all the help, and to Slowmodem for helping me get through the first inspection!

- K

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:59 pm »
Not much I can add, but welcome and you are at the right place to learn, rest is covered...  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 07:08:42 pm »
Once agian I ask, fun isn't it?!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »
We had a great time talking and working with the bees.  You never know what you'll find when you take the top off the hive!   :o  I think they're in pretty good shape now.  We'll look in the hive in a week or so.

Note that I had my official shirt on!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Newbee

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 01:43:42 pm »
Once agian I ask, fun isn't it?!  Ted

LOL! I'm still a bit in the 'nervous' phase. Even w/ protective gear, when you hear the tone of the buzzing change, can't but help get a wee nervous.

- K

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »
I hope that changes for you........and me :o.  Ted

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:20 pm »
We had a great time talking and working with the bees.  You never know what you'll find when you take the top off the hive!   :o  I think they're in pretty good shape now.  We'll look in the hive in a week or so.

Note that I had my official shirt on!

Hey Greg, good to see you're still doing the bee thing!

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter