Author Topic: Adding honey supers  (Read 2071 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Adding honey supers
« on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »
Is there a down side to putting drawn honey supers on early?  Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Adding honey supers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »
Not really I suppose. Wax moth maybe?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:03:21 pm »
Yeah, probably no benefit either.  I think I'm just getting antsy waiting for queens.  I keep hearing about, and consequently worrying about, early swarms and wondered if the "extra space" would help keep them from being crowded.
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
Newby alert post.... But here too many supers give wax moths a home... No beetle, not much else other than Varroa, but we got wax moths here in AZ  :yes:
Cheers, Bill

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:37 pm »
Yes I think so. I think it helps the congestion and helps somewhat with the swarming aspect.  Also I've caught some honey from having them on in some years, mostly mustard and other oddities for my area.  Is it a cure for swarming I don't so and with small hive beetle in my area now I'm not sure how that will be either.  If nothing else it gives you extra exercise taking another box off to inspect  :D

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:08:08 pm »
Thanks Nugget!  I thought about wax moths but the hive population is pretty strong so the moths would need to be tough as nails.

Dunkel!  Good to see you posting!  The dandelions are starting (early), the fruit trees are getting ready to go (days), and I'M GETTING ANTSY!  I need some queens so I can pull some frames to keep them from swarming so I can throw on some supers so I can get some honey and THINGS AREN'T HAPPENING FAST ENOUGH!!!!!!  Whoo, that felt good.  I'm better now.  Thanks guys, Ted

Offline Some Day

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:29:19 pm »
I think bees have a much better chance of filling honey supers if they are on the hive and not in the storage shed.  I might be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time.
The following users thanked this post: Lburou, tedh

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 06:58:47 am »
I think bees have a much better chance of filling honey supers if they are on the hive and not in the storage shed.  I might be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:06:02 am »
Someday that is some funny stuff!!!!  Like all good humor there is a certain amount of truth in there.  Thanks man, Ted

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 02:05:19 pm »
A Master Beekeeper at our last Club meeting suggested that bees will produce 30% more honey when extra supers are added just before the honey flow.  He spoke of pheromones in the honey combs stimulating honey hoarding. 

I don't have to go back very far to remember combs destroyed by wax moths.  So, it is a balance between too much and just adequate space in the supers (between wax moth pressure and how many bees it takes to patrol for pests).  I read somewhere that the cell space in added extra supers allow bees to spread their nectar in more cells to cure honey faster in the same amount of time.  Since the honey flow is often abbreviated, any increase in efficiency pays dividends in honey cured.  But, I've never timed it correctly...  :)

Added:  That Master Beekeeper also made an argument for reducing swarm tendency with extra space, allowing more movement within the hive which spreads the queen pheromone and reducing that cause of swarming.
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: tedh

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 03:05:55 pm »
Thanks Lburou!  Supers will go on tomorrow!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 10:48:58 pm »
like dunkel and lee said it does help with congestion and swarming. and like someday said, honey supers aren't getting filled if they are in the storage shed.

i always put the drawn supers on long before the first big flow of the season (dandelion) and supers extracted from the previous year that still contain a residue of last years honey extract. keeps them busy cleaning up the cells, space overhead and they get busy getting those cells ready. this time of the year i don't worry much about wax moths. and the worst that can happen is if the dandelion flow is less than satisfactory the bees will re purpose the wax from frames in the supers to somewhere else.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor