Author Topic: Finally got the time  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Cracker

Finally got the time
« on: February 20, 2014, 02:16:35 pm »
 Well it's been since Oct. since I've had time to go through my hives today.My business grew exponentially almost overnight and have been so busy,I just haven't felt up to looking in on the bees.
 Last Oct. I relocated the hives(20 ft. away) while I replaced rotted wood rails on the hive stand.Upon moving them back a week later(yeah it took that long told you I was busy :))I went through all hives and found one that was weak,had no brood,and was queenless.Gave them a couple frames of eggs,larva and honey.And today they were a lot stronger,but they were a little shy on population so I switched positions with another hive to give it more bees(by the way that works great).I also switched to solid bottom boards after reading Zookeep's thread that he was having so of the same problems I was,which was the bees being reluctant to do anything with the bottom super.Will see here in a month or so if that's helped the problem. I also noticed they've already started to bring in nectar and pollen,so I put a super on each to get ready for hopefully a good honey crop this Spring :)

I know some of you that know me from the other forum,that I haven't posted much(on this forum as well),but I was just too whooped even on the weekends to work my bees.

GROWING OLD IS INEVITABLE GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Finally got the time
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 02:21:42 pm »
Sometimes life gets in the way. Gotta do what you gotta do!  Glad to see the bees out and about!
   This is the WORST time of the year for me.. so close to spring but theres still snow and nasty weather, not to mention freezing temps..  All I can do is stare out the window and take a little comfort in a cup of hot coffee and the knowledge that I am as ready as I can get for spring to arrive...
   Glad to hear your business is taking off!!!  Keep us posted how its going!
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:32:25 pm »
Quality buddy, not necessarily quantity! What you can, when you can, is good for me. ;) That picture itself helped me.  :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 02:41:02 pm »
Glad to hear you are busy!  I have been that way for the last couple of months myself.

Mine are bringing in pollen today and just got 100 pounds of sugar to feed also.

Give me a holler next time you come up!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 04:27:38 pm »
Mine are bringing in pollen today and just got 100 pounds of sugar to feed also.

I'm curious about how you plan to do that.  Are you mixing syrup already?  It looks like it's going to be down into the 20s for a day or two next week.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »
Will feed 1 to 1 syrup starting about the middle of March.

Got some left over honey from cut outs that I am breaking out now and open feeding a very little at a time.

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:43:03 pm »
Will feed 1 to 1 syrup starting about the middle of March.

Got some left over honey from cut outs that I am breaking out now and open feeding a very little at a time.

Thanks!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:46:22 pm »
G3, have you checked your hives? I have checked 5 yesterday and today. All 5 have frames of fresh nectar.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »
G3, have you checked your hives? I have checked 5 yesterday and today. All 5 have frames of fresh nectar.

I haven't had time to go into the hives, I'm working nights.  But I did stop and look at the bees for a minute on the way to work the other day.  They had legs full of pollen.  My worry is that if the queen has started laying and they need the pollen, and it turns cold for a week or two and the bees can't get out.  I don't have any pollen substitute to give them.  The hives are still heavy so I know there's syrup in there.  I just don't know about the pollen and brood situation.  Am I worrying needlessly?  Or am I way off base here?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:39:14 pm »
glad to see your post.  how was this year's strawberry crop?

as far as I can know.... too much business is much preferred to no business.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 02:00:37 am »

Would have gotten in them today but too windy. I do know a couple of them are light and want to make some splits also. Just wanting to get their numbers up. Nothing worse than starved bees after they made it through the cold of winter.