Author Topic: 3 months old sugar brick  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Bamabww

3 months old sugar brick
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:01:26 pm »
On November 18th I put a 3 lb. sugar brick into my lightest (in stores) hive to help them get through what I hoped would be a typical Alabama winter. Well our winter has been anything but normal, as almost everyone else can say as well, and today, 3 months later, I finally had a warm enough day to check my hives. I was worried about the light hive but was pleasantly surprised at what I found. They had only consumed a very small amount of the 3 lb. brick of sugar and the number of bees was higher than I expected to find. So all five of my hives made it through the cold weather in good shape so far.

Sorry, I tried several times to post a couple of pictures but can't get them below the 750KB limit.
Wayne

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: 3 months old sugar brick
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:09 pm »
Bamaman:

In my two winters of beekeeping, I have not had the bees eat sugar bricks or pollen patties.  The only thing I have successfully fed bees is sugar syrup.  And please remember that I hate feeding bees.  Either my bees have plenty of stores, or they don't care for my food.  This years pollen patty was MannLakes best quality patty.  I ordered 40 of them two months back, and one hive has eaten most of one patty, the other patties are as you described. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:23:16 pm by lazy shooter »

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:32:42 am »
Hey Bama, it sounds to me like you just did a good job having your hives prepared for winter.  :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »

Sorry, I tried several times to post a couple of pictures but can't get them below the 750KB limit.

was you using the add image to post function.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »

was you using the add image to post function.
No, didn't see that option when starting a new thread. It is available for this "Quick Reply." I'll try and see if that makes any difference. Yep, that worked! Thanks for that advice. I'll try a new topic and see if that option is available.

Wayne

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:44:12 pm »
On new topic, it is above the window. Don't use the attach link below the window.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein