Author Topic: Fenced Enclosure  (Read 12192 times)

Offline stickbow95

Fenced Enclosure
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:54 am »
I'm setting up my first two hives at my Father's house, as he has a better location than I do. He has the idea to use an outdoor dog enclosure/kennel to set the hives in, then string the electric fence around it. It is good sized, 15' x 15' IIRC, open top, chain-link construction.
I imagine that this isn't necessary, however it would make my dad happy since he baked up the idea. It would keep the skunks out, I'd imagine.  So my question is: Are there any negative issues with the idea?

Ben

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Fenced Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:21 am »
I'm thinking that with the chain link fence around your hives, the electric fence would be redundant (unless bear hang around there).
But if it's not costing you anything, go for it. 8)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:46:06 am »
As Perry has said Electric fence for bears if he has bears in the area. If the hives are close to the residents and you have dogs and people activity happening around where the bees are being kept it may keep any bears away, But no guarantee if they are hungry.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline stickbow95

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
Oh yes...  Bears are an issue. I have them around my place on a regular basis. That's another one of the reasons I am putting the hives at my dad's place, he doesn't get them as often as I do. I was forced to shoot one last fall that was displaying some alarming behavior. Although I used rock salt in a shotgun since it was only the first offense for this particular critter. I do like bears, but I prefer that they have a healthy fear of my property.

Thanks for the input.

Ben

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:42 am »
It might be fine for now, but it seems it would limit expansion.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:26:09 am »
I hear that if you forget about the elec. fence and walk into it, that it's a real eye opener. :o Of course i've just heard that. ;D Jack

Offline stickbow95

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:49:39 am »
Lol. I remember an experience as a kid when my brother dared me to touch an electric fence at a relatives place... My grandfather just watched in silence until after I touched it, at which time he had a good belly laugh and said that I must have jumped at least 3 feet in the air.

As for expansion, I planned on just keeping the two hives at my dad's.  I have a couple of other friends, with property and large gardens, who have expressed interest in having a couple of hives set up. Would I be better off having more than 2 hives in a location?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:23:15 pm »
From a time management and less time traveling from yard to yard I would say yes to putting more than 2 in one location.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:31:49 pm »
I hear that if you forget about the elec. fence and walk into it, that it's a real eye opener. :o Of course i've just heard that. ;D Jack

Jack
I can assure you this is not just theory! :-[

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »
I'm setting up my first two hives at my Father's house, as he has a better location than I do. He has the idea to use an outdoor dog enclosure/kennel to set the hives in, then string the electric fence around it. It is good sized, 15' x 15' IIRC, open top, chain-link construction.
"Bears are an issue. I have them around my place on a regular basis. That's another one of the reasons I am putting the hives at my dad's place, he doesn't get them as often as I do."

i would suggest ben, if there is any possibility a bear will find the hives at your father's (and they will), with the open top on the kennel, make sure you have enough joules/voltage and electric fencing (not just one wire strung around it) so that the voltage from a shock is enough to send them on their way.  minimum joule to keep black bears out is 0.7 or more. voltage varies with the fencer, so the joule rating is what you want to look at. 0.7 joules can vary in voltage output and other factors from 6,000 volts upwards.  i think mine runs between 8,000 and 10,000 volts.

oh and ps, yes i have inadvertently hit the wires or forgot to turn the fencer off..... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline stickbow95

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 10:51:34 pm »
Thanks for that info River. I will make sure to have sufficient "juice".

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:13 pm »
you are welcome......good luck!... ;)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 05:46:18 pm »
I've decided to update this as I'm not really sure part of the question about bears was truly answered...

I'm not sure that an electric fence is in this year's budget, so I'm debating other options and I'm looking for some input.

I have plenty of fencing kicking around and I'm debating on creating a full enclosure, chain-link roof included.  Assuming I lock the gate, do you feel that, should a bear come along to investigate, it will get tired and roam away if/when it can't get into to access nature's candy?

I know there are bears around, I've seen two in the past 3 years.

What do y'all think?

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 06:58:00 pm »
Don't know much about dealing with bears, but would think you will need to anchor it to the ground. Maybe drive some tee post in the corners and wire them to the corner post.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »
Bears are unpredictable. It depends on how hungry and how much work they r willing.to do to get in the hive. Bears don't know what is in the hive at first but ar attracted to the flying insect and follows it back and into the hive. It is only after it has been in a hive that the bear learns about the easy rewards. Keep the bear away from discouvering the treasurs of the hive is easyier than stoping them once they have discovered the honey and brood. Remember a bear will dig under a fence just as easy as going over it. I have had bears walk and poop with in 15 ft. of hives that had no fence or anything as protection but their was 15 apple trees that they were more interested in.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:20:23 pm »
Aye, what Apis said..
   A lot depends on the bear, and how determined it is.   I have seen a chain link dog kennel shredded by a bear to get at the grain box that was supposedly safely ensconced within.   Granted, it was a cheap chain link kennel...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline stickbow95

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 07:12:16 am »
I'll second what apis said as well. If a bear decides that it wants to get to the other side of a chain link fence, it will get there. I've seen video of an average sized bear peeling the top of a car back to get inside. A chain link fence isn't going to stop a bear. My intention in using the fenced enclosure was mostly to appease my dad. I expect most any determined varmint will manage to get past it, hence the electric fence.
On another note, a couple of old-timers around here who keep bees mentioned that they actually wrap bacon around the electric fence wires when they're first installed to ensure that the bear learns quickly.

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 07:45:03 am »
I'm afraid I couldn't use bacon...  I'd probably be the one getting a jolt whilst I went after it!

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 08:17:14 am »
pity to waste bacon like that too....
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:59 am »
Bacon or sardine cans are good to use when the fence is set up a little to late and the bear already knows what is in the hive. A bear will approach a hive with caution and will slowly check out the fence and get zapped and back away. Once they know what is in the hives and have been in the area the bear will go directly to the hive. In doing so they get part way thru the fence before they get zapped, and when they do they end up taking down the fence so it is grounded and no longer effective. They then again have free access to the hives. Adding a lure on the fence wire will cause the bear to notice the fence and he will sniff to check it out and get zapped with out taking out the fence.