Author Topic: quicklime  (Read 6778 times)

Offline addame

quicklime
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:30 am »
Hi all,

I have some used material to prepare for this spring and I'm looking for products that are efficient to disinfect it.
I already read that torches are widely used.... I used it for wood material but will certainly not use it for the plastic frames  :D

What do you think on using quicklime combined with bleach to disinfect this material? Of course, I'm planning to rinse them after with clear water.

UPDATE:
I would like to know if quicklime is efficient to disinfect plastic frames I have bought.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:11:52 am by addame »

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
Re: quicklime
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:08:44 am »
Material as in wood? What will it be used for, frames? A little more info, please.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:13:37 am »
Acetic acid fumigation supposedly works well and is recommended.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Edward

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
Over here we use Virkon S

Its a biological degradable product that is often used in barns and stables and operation theaters.

It comes as a powder that you mix with water and spray on the Surface you want to treat, in the hospitals they make it into a mist to treat a room.

After 15 minutes it dries and the treatment is done and the mixture is inaktive and dosent need any washing of or cleaning.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:19:41 am »
Addame- my personal opinion would be to Not use bleach on the plastic. Plastic is pourous and even if you rinse there would be minute residue. Keep in mind that I try and stay as natural as possible, others may be fine with bleach.

May I ask what why you are wanting to disinfect to that degree? american foul brood maybe?  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline addame

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 11:39:49 am »
May I ask what why you are wanting to disinfect to that degree? american foul brood maybe?  :)
Jen- It is a used material I bought from a beekeeper and I don't know if it is infected or not. So it is just a precaution to be sure that it will be safe for my bees  :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 11:51:32 am »
Good! I'm very cautious about used material as well, especially wood. Last summer I brought home some old used wood frames and was picking out questionable stuff with a straight pin. It was a nice evening with friends over, so I just sat patiently and picked and cleaned those frames, then put them into the freezer for 2-3 days for wax moth prevention.

Presently I'm switching out my plastic frames for wood frames.

Offline addame

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »

Its a biological degradable product that is often used in barns and stables and operation theaters.

It comes as a powder that you mix with water and spray on the Surface you want to treat, in the hospitals they make it into a mist to treat a room.

After 15 minutes it dries and the treatment is done and the mixture is inaktive and dosent need any washing of or cleaning.

Hi Edward!
Thank you for the suggestion! It is the first time I heard of Virkon S and fortunately it is available here. 

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 12:45:54 pm »
I would recommend a torch with a blue flame, that's what i used on some plastic foundation. My bees now are alot happier with wax and wood, i'm an organic beekeeper. :laugh: :laugh: Sorry i couldn't help it, i done it for a couple of my buddies on the forum. Jack

Offline addame

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:53:35 pm »
I would recommend a torch with a blue flame, that's what i used on some plastic foundation. My bees now are alot happier with wax and wood, i'm an organic beekeeper. :laugh: :laugh: Sorry i couldn't help it, i done it for a couple of my buddies on the forum. Jack

brooksbeefarm, It's on the table as a last option  :laugh:

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »

Oooohhhhhhkaaay... that was my blonde moment for the day...
   I am thinking... blue flame.. how is he going to keep the plastic from warping from that amount of heat???   Then the bell went off...  OH!!! It's Jack.. apply blue flame long enough there IS no warping to be concerned about.....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »
""Oooohhhhhhkaaay... that was my blonde moment for the day...""

Scott...  it's because you are 50 years and one day old today.. the blond moments are gonna be with you every day now, it happens over night I Swear To God! It's okay hon, you're gonna be fine!

Offline Edward

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »

After 15 minutes it dries and the treatment is done and the mixture is inactive and does not need any washing of or cleaning.

Hi Edward!
Thank you for the suggestion! It is the first time I heard of Virkon S and fortunately it is available here.

You spend a lot of time skraping scrubbing and washing old Dirty equipment, it´s hard work

To make sure that you get all the bugs spraying the stuff after all the hard work makes sense

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:10:35 am »
addame,
my humble personal opinion.......for all the trouble you will go through with these used frames after you disinfect them.....and you will need to recoat and add wax to them.......i would just start anew with frames and foundation of your choice, either beeswax or waxed plastic foundation, for me, it wouldn't be worth the hassle and i wouldn't be comfortable putting it in my hives.  that's just me.

this is the problem with purchasing equipment from others and not knowing.  just my humble one hive tool on this.... :)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline addame

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »
Hi All,

Here is an update: here is a picture of what the frames look like.

Offline Woody Roberts

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 07:47:41 pm »
addame,
my humble personal opinion.......for all the trouble you will go through with these used frames after you disinfect them.....and you will need to recoat and add wax to them.......i would just start anew with frames and foundation of your choice, either beeswax or waxed plastic foundation, for me, it wouldn't be worth the hassle and i wouldn't be comfortable putting it in my hives.  that's just me.

this is the problem with purchasing equipment from others and not knowing.  just my humble one hive tool on this.... :)

This is my opinion also. I'd singe the boxes but before I scrape'd the frames, clean and rewax I think I'd just go new.
Now if some of the comb looked good with no signs of disease I might run them thru the freezer and use them.
I'd be nervous though.