Author Topic: Apple Orchard  (Read 3072 times)

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
Apple Orchard
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »
I have an opportunity to put hives on an apple orchard.  No details yet!  All I know is that a young couple just bought a house that has roughly 90 or so apple trees.  They would like a couple hives placed on their property.  From what I read apple blossoms are not a huge source of nectar.  I'm not sure as of yet what else is around the area for the bees to forage on.  Knowing the area that I live in I'm betting its fields.  Corn or soybeans.  That's 90% of what Indiana is.   :'(   .  What I've heard from my brother is that they will not be spraying the trees. (this year)  I'm trying to expand my apiary and need another bee yard.  But, going into this year with only 4 hives is it worth moving 2 hives out there for a year round yard?  Adding more from splits or swarms along the way.  I know without knowing all the details and what the surrounding area has to offer it is hard to say.  But, a handful of hives in the middle of 90 low producing nectar trees would I be losing rather than gaining?
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Apple Orchard
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:46:23 pm »
Provided they don't spray I say go for it. I will be avoiding any pollination of apples from now on due to the indiscriminate spraying practices I have witnessed far too often. With fungicides now turning up in pollen samples I am trying to move away from agricultural crops as much as I can.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:00:34 pm »
You will be amazed at what else your bees find nearby to get pollen and nectar from.
   At that point, will that location be better for your bees than where they are?
   What do you gain?
   Are they paying?  Planning on paying in the future? Or is this just an offer of a place to put your hives? You get an outyard they get pollination?
   The bees will find every pollen and nectar producing plant, flower, tree and weed in the area..  so depending on what you have to gain, either in goodwill and friendship or in future payment.. maybe try it one spring/summer and see how the bees fare...     As Perry said, be warned about the spraying..   Once they start that my bees would be removed.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
We don't have apple orchards here, but don't most apple trees bloom in late summer? Aren't apples a fall crop? If so, how beneficial would the bees be to anything else but themselves and the orchard? But that may be all that's necessary. If you have 4 hives, I would think you are wanting some honey out of this.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »
I manage 3 hives in an orchard here in Indiana with the same amount of trees.  The blooms are early.  Different varieties bloom at different times.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »
Thet blom in end of april early may. They only bloom for a week if there are differnt varietys they will bloon at different times extending th bloom. Apple trees produce nectar in the early afternoon where dandylions produce nectar in the late morning. So between the 2 the hive can store enough to last and encourage buildup to the main honey flow. Put thr hives on a trailer move them for the apple blossems and back home for the honey crop. Best of both worlds. It is a hastle to have to go to another location to look after 2 hives.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline camero7

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:18 am »
Provided they don't spray I say go for it. I will be avoiding any pollination of apples from now on due to the indiscriminate spraying practices I have witnessed far too often. With fungicides now turning up in pollen samples I am trying to move away from agricultural crops as much as I can.

Having lost some hives year before last, I have quit pollinating apples unless it's a organic orchard [I do 2 of those]. If it's not going to be sprayed there will be lots of dandelions and other stuff blooming under the trees. Will make a good build up area for a few hives I would think. When they decide to spray, get your hives out and don't return would be my advice.