Author Topic: Bad advise  (Read 21964 times)

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Bad advise
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:58 am »
There is a lot of good advise as well as bad advise out on the world wide web concerning bees. I am curious what is some of the bad advice you followed when starting out and in the end found out it wasn't a great idea.  I would have to say mine was putting bees in a remote area to keep them safe. It works well with established hives but nucs needing feed wasn't good when the rains came.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
Re: Bad advise
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:58:27 am »
This could be a fascinating thread.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:59:20 am »
Not from the internet but the lady who sold me my first hive insisted I set it up at the base of my giant elm tree, where the sun only shines from November to March. Needless to say that hive had swarmed/ absconded and been overrun by wax moth within 4 months. 

Internet is much better than local know it all.  Best local advice comes from your bee club, this lady wasn't a member. She did give me a warranty hive, I picked it up. Her big trees were tiny feathery mesquites and she was in high prairie so her advice actually worked, for her.  warranty hive had maybe 5 frames of bees in junk eqpt, I learned feeder design and sunshine on the internet.

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:03:11 am »
Not that I followed any of them, but IMHO, the worst I see daily is:

1.. Destroy swarm cells

2.. Queen excluders for first time beeks.

3.. Foundationless frames for first time beeks.

Other suggestions from experienced beeks that only work because they have the experience, but won't work for a newbee.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline DMLinton

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:06:38 am »
...so her advice actually worked, for her...
This is the crux of the info/advise I have recieved so far.  It comes from what works for the advisor, their environment and their management style as opposed to what could work for the new beekeeper in their environment and initial lack of management style.
Regards, Dennis

Offline DMLinton

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:14:31 am »
Your points are interesting, Iddee.  I have never been able to figure out why so many folks advice destroying swarm cells instead of explaining what the swarm cells are telling the beekeeper. ... and then pointing out the options that depend on where the beekeeper is trying to get to. 
Regards, Dennis

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:15:03 am »
...so her advice actually worked, for her...
This is the crux of the info/advise I have recieved so far.  It comes from what works for the advisor, their environment and their management style as opposed to what could work for the new beekeeper in their environment and initial lack of management style.
DMLinton, You beat me to the punch while I was getting ready to respond to this.  But, you said it much better than I would have. ;)

I will add that being told to provide afternoon shade was not the greatest of advise.  There are microclimates and what works for one doesn't always work for others.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:28:58 pm »
Iddee- ""1.. Destroy swarm cells""

In a normal situation, 'I think' I know what to do with spotting swarm cells. Do a split or a nuc from this hive to fake a swarm.

But this year, starting out with 1 double deep in the early spring, and ending with 10 swarms within 6 weeks...

And, one of the swarm hives containing 29 queen cells (not cups)

Wouldn't you say that this situation was a bit excessive?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »
THIS! It's going to take me a long time to transfer these out ~

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:47:05 pm »
Find queen cells in 20 hives and take an average. You will find destroying queen cells is a terrible idea.There are always exceptions in bee keeping.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »
Iddee- ""You will find destroying queen cells is a terrible idea. There are always exceptions in bee keeping.""

Mr. Wizard  :) I humbly ask, 'What would you have done in the situation'

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »
Split into as many 3 frame nucs as I could and sold all but what I wanted on Craig's list at 125.00 each. Then PARTIED.....   ;D
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 02:12:32 pm »
Nice! Thanks Iddee, I'll remember that next time  ;) 8)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 03:14:42 pm »
Seeing as how all my advice has come from here (and our previous forum homes), there has been no bad advice!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 04:47:25 pm »
Not advise, but a local guy I know says that need will fly 10 miles to forage and sometimes will stay overnight when returning to the hive. While overnighting is not too hard to believe, flying 10 miles is.

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
One article I read, from a test in the dessert where food was placed at an increasing distance, said 7.2 mile was break even. After that, they burn more fuel than they can carry back.
― Shel Silverstein

Ray

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 05:23:16 pm »
3.. Foundationless frames for first time beeks.
 :'(

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »
One article I read, from a test in the dessert where food was placed at an increasing distance, said 7.2 mile was break even. After that, they burn more fuel than they can carry back.

I seem to remember that up north in Alberta (Beaverlodge?) they did a study where they placed virgin queens at 1 kilometer distances and then released a bunch of drones to see how far they may travel. This was very isolated so they were quite sure that these would be the only drones to find the queens. Apparently some of the drones showed up to the 20 kilometer mark queen.

Bad advice? Cutting queen cells to prevent swarming. Was told that early on, and it stuck till I read differently from a member of this forum. I also learned how to do a trap-out from the same feller. Not saying who he is.  ;) :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »
Perry- ""Bad advice? Cutting queen cells to prevent swarming. Was told that early on, and it stuck till I read differently from a member of this forum. I also learned how to do a trap-out from the same feller. Not saying who he is.""

Not Fair Perry! This is a place of learning not guessing..... hmmmm, who could that feller be? the mystery is killin' me...  :D

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:19 pm »
Worst advice I received starting out was: "Put your hives in the shade, you'll be glad you did when August rolls around."

Wayne