Author Topic: Finally! Extracting for the first time this weekend!!  (Read 13106 times)

Offline Beeracuda

Re: Finally! Extracting for the first time this weekend!!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 06:50:06 pm »
We wound up with 87 lbs!  I probably should have checked the super that wasn't capped.  I had one frame that was capped on one side, but not the other.  It checked at 18% moisture, so it went in with all the rest.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 07:34:33 pm »
bc.....
just to clarify what you said in your post, did you say you had one super of 9 frames that was not capped? and checked the moisture content on all the frames? 

congrats on your first extraction!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:54 am »
bc.....
just to clarify what you said in your post, did you say you had one super of 9 frames that was not capped? and checked the moisture content on all the frames? 

I have one super that wasn't capped.  It is still on the hive.  I did not take it.

I had one frame that was capped on one side, but not the other.  I checked the uncapped side and it was right at 18%, so I went ahead and spun it.

congrats on your first extraction!

Thanks!  It was fun, but a lot of work too.  We will be a little better set up and organized next time around!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 12:27:24 am »
I have one super that wasn't capped.  It is still on the hive.  I did not take it.
I had one frame that was capped on one side, but not the other.  I checked the uncapped side and it was right at 18%, so I went ahead and spun it.

okay bc thanks, one of the reasons i asked was because you asked this earlier:

"When I put the extracted supers back on, should I put one above the uncapped super or not?"

i would not put anything over top until the bees capped this off, or they are close to getting it capped, and depending on your flow going forward.

"Thanks!  It was fun, but a lot of work too.  We will be a little better set up and organized next time around!"

it is a lot of work!  oh but so worth the reward!........ :yes:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »
It seems that you have received a lot of good advice.  Like one of the posters above, I am so glad that your health has improved to the point that you can enjoy this labor of love.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 06:28:58 pm »
 I took some frames of honey off the hives yesterday, though I was going to get around 4  8 medium full but got a sock when they skip a medium and went to the top box, anyway I ended up with 2 full medium of honey. Got a five gallon bucket of honey from the two. Though I had some bottles to put the honey in, forgot I had use the last ones the last time, have to order some come Monday. Here is a few pictures of it, the honey is a little darker than it has been.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
 Forgot to say I bought a watermelon knife to  decap the honey with and it work real good.

Ken

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:51 am »
Looks great!

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:53 am »
Beeracuda, your bountiful harvest is just beautiful.  It seems to have raised your spirits, as well it should have.  Bees seem to have a euphoric effect on most of us.  I think that is especially the case with you at this time.  It is so rewarding to see your bees and you doing so well.  Just keep on keeping on, and my prayers stay with you for a complete recovery.  LS

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »
Beeracuda, your bountiful harvest is just beautiful.  It seems to have raised your spirits, as well it should have.  Bees seem to have a euphoric effect on most of us.  I think that is especially the case with you at this time.  It is so rewarding to see your bees and you doing so well.  Just keep on keeping on, and my prayers stay with you for a complete recovery.  LS

Thank you very much.  I really enjoy working with the bees, but I am going to have to step away from it for a while and let a buddy take over.  Jill will still help.  I finally feel that I can physically do it, but I can't take the risk.  It is extremely frustrating.

On a positive note, we finished all of our extracting for the year.  We wound up with about 225 lbs total!  All this was from just 3 of our 6 hives.  It greatly exceeded my expectations.