Author Topic: Beekeeping can be therapeutic  (Read 14373 times)

Offline Marion

Beekeeping can be therapeutic
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »
Hi, just wanted to share our experiences in regards to beekeeping and maintaining health.

About 3 years ago my husband Ward had a medium sized right sided stroke. This robbed him of his left field of vision, inferencing abilities and  left him with a short term memory deficiency. He is doing very well and other than having to give up driving he is pretty self sufficient.

Last fall I was worried that he did not have enough to keep his brain stimulated. I suggested he find a hobby. After careful thought he came up with raising chickens and honey bees. The unselfish person that he is, must have been thinking of something he could do for me, because I was seeking fresh eggs and raw honey from the local sources.

Well, last fall we built a chicken coop and we have 6 lovely Golden Comet hens that we raised from chicks. We are getting 3-6 eggs daily already.

In February we started learning about what is needed to raise honey bees and began ordering unassembled boxes and frames. This was just what Ward needed in the winter time to keep busy and great physical therapy.

Now we both read this blog and other sources to learn about the complex hobby of raising the bees. We have set up lawn chairs and spend many an hour watching our bees. This is great stimulation for his mind. So therapeutic.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Beekeeping can beshare therapeutic
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:09:04 pm »
Great story.
I can't imagine what I'd be doing if I hadn't stumbled across this wonderful insect. Really kept me out of trouble.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:56:44 pm »
Marion! Nice testiment! It came at a good time for me. I have a friend on the outskirts of town, I'm helping hime start his first hive. He has suffered with depression a good part of his his life, he's also ADD (attention deficit syndrom), OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), ABC, and ZYX.

He is doing bee venom therapy for depression and has taken a liking to the bees. My hope is that he will find comfort with the healing bees.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Marion

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 04:25:07 pm »
It has done a world of good for Ward. We have lunch or coffee several times a day in the place where we sit in front of the bees. We discuss what we noticed about them and what we should do next.

I print out articles which become our bedtime reading material.

I was able to download a couple of resources on my Kindle that were either free or of little cost re: beekeeping. Even though he reads slowly, because of diminished vision he is able to read which he was not interested in doing the first year of his stroke.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:02:36 pm »

Excellent choice! Not just hobbies but beneficial.

Heres a picture of the chicken fort with the hives in the background..   We have buffs, reds and barred rocks.. No clue what boots the rooster is, but he is mellow when we go in to collect eggs so I am happy with him.

Lots of reading and learning is good.  I am always amazed at the resource the internet has turned out to be.
   Feel free to look my website over,  ( http://outyard.weebly.com/ ) but don't ever take any single reference as gospel. Read up how a lot of people keep bees, and then modify the things they do to fit how YOU want to keep bees.   
   After many years of roundy round racing, drag racing and mud runs, and the immense amount of money, time and effort they require, it sure is nice to have bees.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »
I really liked your lead in post.  It's good that the bees are working so well for both of you.  But the love you two share, and obviously have shared, with each other is the real story here.  It's so nice to see older folks that are just so enamored with each other.  God has Blessed both of you.

Offline Marion

Re: Beekeeping can be therapeutic
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:44:37 pm »
Yes, we have been married 46 years and are enjoying retirement together.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:24 pm »
UH-OH! Now I've got to ask. When is your anniversary? My bride and I have been married 46 years also.We married on March 31.

PS. Beautiful thread you started here.Thank You.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marion

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:38:56 pm »
Our wedding date was Feb. 10, 1968. I've included a picture of our chickens for LazyBkpr.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:55 pm »
You've got us beat by 1 month and 21 days.  Hang in there, we have a long ways to go.   ;D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:33 pm »
How very nice to read your short story. They have such a nice effect on us as we sit and watch. I especially like to take a few moments and watch how they continue to go about their buisness in spite of us being in the hive and the frame separated from the others.
You will find many small tasks of frame assembly and box building..etc. to be the welcome hobby!
Wonderful to hear of the commitment and admiration!
Great to have you both on the site.
Tim

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 03:40:02 am »
Lovely story.  Thanks for sharing.  Hobbies are so under rated.  For some here in this forum, beekeeping is a hobby that got out of hand.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:57 am »
I have a question for you chicken lovers.  I have a lady friend that brings me eggs.  The eggs are brown, green and blue.  What types of chickens lay green and blue eggs?

It seems a lot of beekeepers also keep chickens.  Is there some kind of symbiotic relationship between chickens and bees, or is it just one of those if you love bees you would also like chickens things?  Maybe it's a prepper thing?

This is just a curious mind thing.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:39 am »
You may find that chickens are usually the first step to self sufficiency. It was for us. We are by no means self sufficient, but it really gives a feeling of success raising your own food.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 11:44:16 am »
"Hi, just wanted to share our experiences in regards to beekeeping and maintaining health."

thank you marion for sharing your story.  keeping bees is very stimulating and very therapeutic in many ways, mentally and physically, and something we can work at year round even when the sXXw is falling..... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 08:02:49 am »
Lazy shooter,
The chickens that lay the green and blue are Ameraucana's. They are a large very hardy bird that is very well suited for free range.
Have had them for many yrs. It is a way of more self sufficient. I also have pygmy goats, but don't use the milk. They are mostly weed control in small pasture area. Funny to see chickens on the goats backs from time to time.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 04:02:03 pm »
I have a lady friend that brings me eggs.  The eggs are brown, green and blue.  What types of chickens lay green and blue eggs?

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 04:43:02 pm »
I have a lady friend that brings me eggs.  The eggs are brown, green and blue.  What types of chickens lay green and blue eggs?

Now that's cool slow modem. 

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:46 am »
for us, my wife wanted the chickens. we got 30 of them.  butchered the roosters and now have 13 nice hens.
the next year, i told her if she got chickens, i got to have bees.  it has worked out well.  8)
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:23 am »
for us, my wife wanted the chickens. we got 30 of them.  butchered the roosters and now have 13 nice hens.
the next year, i told her if she got chickens, i got to have bees.  it has worked out well.  8)

Can you purchase hens only?  I remember that it is difficult to "sex" baby chicks, but I thought there was a way to do it.  I get free range eggs from and old lady, but she does not keep roosters.

I'm glad you got the bees out of the deal with your wife.  You seem to really enjoy beekeeping.