Author Topic: What I have read is what I practice, thus far has proven successful.  (Read 4362 times)

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
I've read nearly as much as I could to learn everything I can about the goods, the bads, and the uglies to beekeeping prior to, and now while, venturing into my first real year of the hobby.  One of the articles I read very early on I keep ending up back to.  Sometimes it's by doing searches for certain things or by following links from random articles.  I have also been linked to it multiple times posts here on WorldWideBeekeeping.com.  I'm making this post in an attempt to encourage others to use it, and especially folks new, or almost-new, to the beekeeping adventure.  I HIGHLY recommend it.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/first-year-care-for-your-nuc/

One of the things I read early on, and practice each time I go into a hive is this section:

Handling Tips:

Move smoothly–like you’re doing Tai Chi.  Bees only sting when they feel that you are threatening their hive.  So don’t do anything threatening!  Fast or jerky movements appear threatening.  Always use smoke, but use it sparingly.  The only bees that will sting are the guard bees on the periphery of the cluster–especially at the entrance and at the top bars.  Bees that are not looking at you aren’t interested in you.  If you see bees looking at you, give them a little puff of smoke and wait until they turn away from you.  It is only safe to pick up a frame if there are no bees looking at you.

Bees will often fly at your hands or face and give “warning bumps” prior to actual stinging.  Pay attention to what they are telling you–BACK OFF!  They either don’t want to be disturbed at that moment, or you have not used enough smoke, or you’ve been too rough.

If there are bees looking at you, warning bumps, stinging, or the smell of alarm pheromone, STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!  Do not keep going, or things will quickly get worse–you don’t want to go there!  Give the bees a chance to calm down, and for alarm pheromone to dissipate.  Give the top bars a light puff or two of smoke until there are no bees facing you.  If you can’t get them to calm down, then just close the hive up for the day.

The best way to learn how to work gently with bees is to carefully watch an experienced beekeeper who doesn’t usually wear gloves (or veil).  Such a beekeeper has learned how to work bees with care and respect.  Those who always wear gloves and full gear often have very bad habits.  I strongly suggest that you learn to work bees barehanded in good weather–thin latex or nitrile gloves are a good way to eliminate most stings, but still get a “feel” for the bees.

I know there are those here who disagree or have medical reasons NOT to go "naked", and I FULLY support that.  I will add that I feel being naked makes me a little more aware of what's going on and how the bees feel about me.  I am very much learning about their behavior, their actions, and their reactions.  I believe, at least as a newbee, that I'm getting the most out of my experience by not having a false feeling of security.  That I'm using more caution than I would if I were better protected...  And I certainly feel, at times, that I'm a fool.  My strongest hive (#3) this past weekend was CLEARLY tired of my presence.  They weren't even too keen on me trying to close up the hive.  No stings, but more warnings than you could possibly imagine!

As, what I believe is, a fair comparison...  I used to ride a motorcycle (would LOVE to again).  ALWAYS with a helmet, mind you.  The point of my mentioning that is I know the caution that must be used by a biker because you truly have to be aware of all that's around you and can hurt you, too many drivers are just absolutely clueless about their surroundings.  I feel that my riding experience has taught me to be a safer motor vehicle operator.  More aware of all that's around and happening.

Much of this may seem like senseless rambling, but I kind of wanted to put a few of my thoughts down and a little of what I've learned so far.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: What I have read is what I practice, thus far has proven successful.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »
Good read. I do hope by "naked" you mean gloveless. That I can do.  ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:58 pm »
Good read. I do hope by "naked" you mean gloveless. That I can do.  ;D

Well... I wear no gloves, no veil, no pants.  I keep a shirt on, though... let's not be TOO crazy!

Offline Marion

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »
I've read nearly as much as I could to learn everything I can about the goods, the bads, and the uglies to beekeeping prior to, and now while, venturing into my first real year of the hobby.  One of the articles I read very early on I keep ending up back to.  Sometimes it's by doing searches for certain things or by following links from random articles.  I have also been linked to it multiple times posts here on WorldWideBeekeeping.com.  I'm making this post in an attempt to encourage others to use it, and especially folks new, or almost-new, to the beekeeping adventure.  I HIGHLY recommend it.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/first-year-care-for-your-nuc/

Thank you for this resource. What I learned today from it is brand of a good pollen patty to purchase and when to start feeding my bees pollen. It was suggested August. I'm keeping this resource in my favorites.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:08:09 am »
Indeed!
   Hive #7...
   Dont walk in front of it, dont get near it without full gear and gloves..  I have tried three times.. three is my magic number.. three stings I put my veil on..  three attempts to work a hive and they are aggressive with no obvious reason.. they get a new queen...  Unfortunately.. I used all my queens already...
   So Hive Number 7 get to keep their queen until spring, but that means I go with full armor..   Light smoke, a LOT of smoke, light syrup spray etc.. makes no difference, I reach for a frame I get a dozen bees on the gloves and two or three stinging the gloves..  These bees follow me back to my truck.. and that is usually where they die..  The other hives in the outyard are meek by comparison..
   They GET inspected, even though they dont like it, and I am looking forward to the day I get to OFF their queen.. I think I will do it ON the top bars while they all watch.. I will wait until they are all lined up staring at me...  then....  with the hive tool....   CHOP!!!

The point is..   Don't get discouraged if your having a hard time NOT wearing protective gear, because sometimes they are grouchy even if you do everything right.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
there is a bit of satisfaction when you finally get to kill that queen who has been laughing at you for months (I swear i heard her)!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau