Author Topic: I met the state bee inspector today...  (Read 5039 times)

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
I met the state bee inspector today...
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:15 pm »
In the interest of trying to avoid writing a complete novel, some of this is paraphrased...

So the guy that I picked up 3 packages for when I picked up mine called me yesterday.  Some guy from up the street from him contacted him and said he'd like to inspect his bees.  He asked if I knew who it was.  I mentioned the last name of the state bee inspector and asked if it was him... It wasn't. He called the guy back and got the full scoop...

The guy up the street found out my coworker had bees and had scheduled a day off work to go on tour with the state bee inspector today.  He wanted to get my coworker's bees added to the list to be inspected.  He obviously said yes. 

Seeing that I wanted to meet the inspector and look at someone else's bees, I joined them for the inspection today.

I did learn some new stuff by listening to him and asking him questions (he's been inspecting bees for 37 years!)...  What I really enjoyed, though, was learning how much I already knew!  For that, I give many of you credit for much of my education.  Thank you!

Although only a few frames in each deep and/or medium were removed for the inspection I did get to see quite a bit.  3 of his hives were new Russian packages this year, his other was a survivor from last year.  I expected to see his much further along than my 3 Italian hives are... Quite the opposite!  Not that I felt mine were doing bad, because I certainly don't, but OH BOY... My Italians are way further along than his are.  My Hive #1, that I refer to as my weakest hive, seems to be stronger and doing better than his survivor hive is... Very strange and surprising.

The inspector will be in my neck of the woods next week.  I'll be calling him Sunday night to check his schedule.  He's going to let me know when he'll be by my Hives 2&3 and I'll leave work to meet him... Then we'll go to my hive #1 after.

This was a very worthwhile experience for me... I can't wait to see what he says about mine...

On a side note...  Going through John's first 3 hives all went quite swimmingly... Moments into his 4 hive, one of the gals decided she didn't like me... She eventually stung my in my ear.  I pray she died a slow and painful death...

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: I met the state bee inspector today...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:04:36 am »
"3 of his hives were new Russian packages this year, his other was a survivor from last year.  I expected to see his much further along than my 3 Italian hives are... Quite the opposite!  Not that I felt mine were doing back, because I certainly don't, but OH BOY... My Italians are way further along than his are.  My Hive #1, that I refer to as my weakest hive, seems to be stronger and doing better than his survivor hive is... Very strange and surprising."

capn,
different strains of bees......you have italians, there is a big difference between italians and russian bees and their characteristics.
the russian queens will shut down brood production in dearths, (i read you were in a dearth) and the bees will be very conservative on stores, and they will maintain.  your italians.......your italian queens will continue to lay through dearths and blow through stores and sugar syrup that has been packed away, and not have enough to feed all the bees or developing bees in the colony and they will starve at some point if some additional feed is not kept on; whereas the russians won't, and the russians will make it to spring and the italians have a high probability of not making it in northern winters unless you provide additional feed or winter feed and treat for mites.....russian bees typically don't need this. 

as far as the survivor hive?  maybe of the same 'conservative' genetics.  you would be amazed at how well smaller clusters of bees from survivor stock, (healthy) or of russian genetics do much better in dearths and through winter than italian bees.  they just do. 

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:13:44 pm »
The state inspector is usually a wealth of information, and contrary to most other "state" inspectors it is usually a good visit when they come by.   I have spoken with Andy Joseph a couple of times, and seen him speak at a few different meetings. Real down to earth guy. He hasnt been by to inspect my hives but imagine it is only a matter of time.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »
While I was reading your post, riverbee was typing my thoughts exactly.  In my view, the most important issue is the mite load.  Mite loads have a huge impact on how your bees do now, and can be the deciding factor in how bees do through the winter.   :)

Did the inspector say anything about mite loads?
Lee_Burough

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:57:07 am »
Did the inspector say anything about mite loads?

He did.  He told us about how a few areas in the state have hit some serious issues with them and how they killed off all but a few hives in some areas.  He talked about the different treatments and how to prepare for the winter... Treat again in October using Apiguard.  He spoke to how the different treatments work and other in-hive signs that mites are present...  Such as when you see an uncapped pupae it's the bees uncapping it to remove it because it has died, typically because of a mite.  With all that I've read, I don't think I've seen anything referencing that.  Maybe I missed it or didn't catch on to it.  I haven't seen much of that in my hives, but I have noticed one here and there.

He also made reference to some AFB cases and how they occurred and what he did to track down the source.  Ken (the inspector) is clearly a wealth of information.

He asked how I got started and I told him.. An old-timer used to bring me to the Worcester County Beekeeper's Association meetings back in '92.  He asked who it was...  Yeah, he remembers the guy.  Sadly, the man that introduced me to beekeeping past away a couple months ago at the age of 83.  Very sad and disappointing.  I was REALLY hoping to bring him some honey and to let him know he truly made an impression in my life.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 09:08:42 pm »
Sounds like time well spent for you and the inspector.  Your mentor's family may appreciate the honey.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:22:46 am »
Well, Ken said he makes his schedule at about 8pm on Sunday nights and to call after that.  I called and left a message at 8:40pm.  I haven't heard back yet, but will try again this evening.

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:26 am »
OK... so here we go...

In order:

Hive #2) WTH happened???  TON of drones!!!  They've clearly superseded. Ken gets the credit for pointing that out.  They were in the process of doing it again.  He recommended moving a couple frames from Hive #3 along with the nurse bees on it, centering the best 7 frames in the top and bottom deep, and REQUEENING...  He gave me a contact (Dave) for a new queen down in Uxbridge, MA.  It's about 1h10m from home.  On the upside, I had to go to my sister's house in Worcester, about 50 minutes from home, last night.  When we were done at her house we went to meet Dave at his house.  The new queen is currently in my kitchen and will be introduced to the hive this afternoon.  Gonna off the current queen, move the frames as suggested, and put the new queen in - cork still in.  Will remove the cork on Monday.  Northern-bred queens from upper California.

Hive #3)  Nice and strong.  Will be stealing two frames of brood and nurse bees from this hive to give to Hive #2.  Although they probably won't be able to draw and fill it all before winter, he suggests giving them a honey super to work on.  I'll get that ready this weekend and probably give them on Monday when I remove the cork from the Q-cage in Hive #2.

Hive #1)  Remember how I mentioned after one of my inspections that this hive seems to have turned around night & day and it suddenly seemed to be doing WAAAAAY better....  Yeah, Ken agreed that they must've superseded.  He feels this is a good, strong hive.  It would probably be even better to move the frames from this one to Hive #2, but I'm not currently equipped to transport this.  However, I will end up making a 4 or 5-frame transport box for future use.

Overall he says everything is well, but that I should feed them more, and only use 2:1 syrup, not 1:1, and offered his reasons as to why; helping them draw the new comb and use less energy turning it into honey among those reasons.  Far less moisture content to remove, less energy expended for the same end result.  He also suggested I put Apiguard strips in the hives near the end of October.

My better-half was with me for the inspections and venturing down to meet with Dave.  Both Ken and Dave are phenomenal contacts to have made.  They are both extremely friendly and helpful... let alone full of great information about keeping bees in Massachusetts!  While they are certainly not the kind of folks that brag in any way (which is a good thing) they offer their knowledge in a very user-friendly way and are quick to share... and learn!  For example, he was unaware that MAQS can be frozen to extent their longevity for future use!  I thought it was pretty cool that I had information that he did not.  Considering I'm essentially a first year beek, it feels pretty cool to be able to help someone else out!  They are also active in Harvard bee studies, which includes studies on the effects of neonics.

I told Dave about our forum here and invited him to join it.  I hope he does!  Ken has told us that if we ever want to inspect his hives with him to just give him a call.

I'd have to say that meeting these two guys has definitely been a positive experience and I can't wait to work with them again!

Marion:  I asked Ken, the inspector, if he goes to Hindsdale.  He said he typically only goes that far West if there's an issue.  He said there are two other inspectors out that way, but they are relatively new.  If you call Ken @ the number I gave you, he'll give you the contact info for the inspectors out your way.

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
Did I do the right thing?

I centered the best (I think) frames today as suggested, axed the old queen (ToD: 16:37:31), put the new queen cage in between the center frames of the lower deep, took 2 lousy (not even drawn) frames out, and replaced with 2 frames from Hive #3 that had a bunch of brood and nurse bees.

Here's the questions:  I know there are some mites in Hive #2...  Before moving the frames over, I looked in a bunch of drone cells checking for mites... which I found.  I still moved those frames over.  Did I do the right thing?  I know i have to treat them again before winter anyway.  They are right next to each other, so I'd imagine the issue would've spread anyway... Did I do the right thing?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:04:08 pm »
You will be fine, as long as you treat them. Dont worry about the mites..  Your doing good!

1/1 syrup is to simulate a flow/nectar  and to stimulate brood production for spring.   2/1 syrup is easier for them to cap in the fall, less dehydrating etc..
    Dont particularly care what reasons are offered..  If I want brood I feed 1/1, if I want them to prep for winter I feed 2/1.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 07:21:06 am »
I agree, you did good.  :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter