Author Topic: gonna try to trap a tree out  (Read 12387 times)

Gypsi

Re: gonna try to trap a tree out
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 11:24:10 pm »
Beautiful photos, and good advice too. One more comment. Actually two. It looked like you put all the empty frames on one side of the hive, generally when I upsize into a larger box I put the existing hive frames in the same order in the larger box and fill in empties on both outer edges.

2nd thing, entrance reducer. Little scrap of 1x2, wadded up tin foil, anything, you need that entrance not much over 4 bees width and one bee height at this time of year in a drought in North Texas, or you can lose your small hive to a robbing larger hive pretty easily. Particularly do not add any essential  oils to your feed, do not use HoneyBeHealthy, etc or it is like a flag that says "rob me".   Except for my largest hive, all of mine are on entrance reducers turned to the 2 bee width,  low height, just enough for the undertaker bees to be able to haul out bodies.  There is a little traffic jam from returning workers but not too bad. Also take care not to spill syrup or honey and watch for drips..

I fought a large robbing hive for over a month before losing my second hive (at 7 frames) to the robbers. At the time it was my only hive. Heartbreaking and frustrating. It was something like October 3, 2011, so around this time of year.

Gypsi

Offline ledifni

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 09:34:54 am »
Well, you had five frames and my hive fits 8 so I put on empty on one side and two on the other. But yes the original frames are all in the middle :) I don't have room for the entrance reducer with that feeder in there...I could make one though. I might just make a top feeder instead and use the entrance reducer that came with the bottom board. Probably safer that way in any case.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 09:53:55 am »
For an entrance reducer, just cut a block of wood 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter than your opening. Place it against the feeder. Leave the opening next to the outside of the bottom board.

Yes, top feeders are much safer from robbers than front feeders.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline ledifni

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 10:16:10 am »
Yep, just made a top feeder from a mason jar and put it over the hole in the inner cover. It strikes me that refilling a top feeder is also a lot less intrusive.