Author Topic: Need Bees To Come Out From Under The Hive  (Read 6361 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Need Bees To Come Out From Under The Hive
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:23 pm »
"Ok I got neighbors that get this way this time of the year but I havent taken their honey so its got to be the changes in the weather ;D"

my condolences rat, you have TWERPS for neighbors that suffer from whatever, and i just have the normal run of the mill hillbillies and rednecks...... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 08:45:31 pm »
Unless it's a tray you keep oil in to kill the mites, you only need to have the sticky board inserted when you check for mites.  One of the purposes of a screened bottom board is increased ventilation.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 10:39:24 pm »
Hi Slow  :)  I keep petroleum jelly or shortening on my sticky boards, and keep the sticky board in at all times. Then, pull out the board every two weeks-ish, if no mites I put it back. If there are mites I calculate whether I need to treat and then put it back. If the board is full of debri I scrape it off, add more petrolium jelly.

I think it was Randy Oliver who said that this is a good idea because even if you are not checking, the mites are falling on a continual basis onto the sticky board, stay stuck, and can't return to the bees.

It works for me  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »
once in awhile a queen gets lost and under a sbb, but usually at this time of year, yellow jackets are trying to get in through any possible spot, including the screen, and those are guard bees down there.

I pull my sticky boards during the summer, my bees sit in full sun on 100 degree days, shade after 3 or 4 pm, so they need the ventilation. I am about to oil the boards and put them back tomorrow when I also do my split and maybe go get my trap out bees (I don't know, I kinda favor leaving them over where it rained and all that golden rod is..)