Author Topic: Advice on a Bee Tree Needed  (Read 2220 times)

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
Advice on a Bee Tree Needed
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
Got a call from a guy with a tree with bees. It's a big tree and close to his house. He needs to take at least the top of it off so it doesn't damage the house if it were to fall. He doesn't mind having the bees and not sure if he wants to remove the bottom half where they live. The bees entrance is about 6 feet off the ground and I'm pretty certain there is only one. I think if he could keep the bottom 7 or 8 feet of the tree intact, I think he would. My advice to him was to close off the entrance at night using plywood and steel wool. It shouldn't be difficult. Then, the next morning do what he needs to with the top of the tree. Once he is finished cutting, then release the bees to let them settle. I thought at that point, he could decide if he needs to get rid of the trunk. Then, if necessary, it would meet the chainsaw.

What do you think?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Advice on a Bee Tree Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:55 pm »
Metal screen or they will get worked up because of the vibration and over heat and suffocate.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:31:03 pm »
Window screen staple gun and silicone caulk: see photos on my bee tree, height and status of hive very similar

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »
Much better idea! Thanks!