Author Topic: Great news and not so great news!  (Read 5938 times)

Offline Beeracuda

Great news and not so great news!
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »
First the great news.  Despite all that has gone on this year I'm still here!  My leukemia is still in remission. I have 5 days of chemotherapy in December & 5 in March and hopefully that is the end of it.

The not so great news is I will definitely be spending that time & more as far from the bees as I can.  Last month, I had a systemic reaction to one sting & had been very Leary about going close to the hives in the backyard.

Sunday, Jill was going to mow,  I went for gas and decided I would mow the front yard,  I got that done and I figured I could make a couple of passes by the house. I did all I was going to do and turned the mower around. That was when I noticed that the wind was blowing all the dust into the hives.

One of them took exception to it.  They came after me from  across the yard. I don't know how many stings I took but it was 20 plus,  All on my head neck and arms. I didn't know they were on me until it was too late,

I ran in the house with lots of them in tow,  Jill got the credit card to start scraping stingers out and I got the Auvi-Q (like an epi-pen but more compact & it talks you through it.  The first BP check after that was 75/49. The second was 62/39 as we were headed to the ER, 

They got me right into a room and things got uglier from there.  When things finally got stable the doc told me the pen definitely saved my life.  That would have been a heck of a note to survive the 30% chance they gave me with the cancer and die from a fun enjoyable hobby,

So I guess I am going to see if a buddy can requeen some hives for me and tend to them while I finish my chemotherapy and start my immunotherapy.

All in all, it had been à fun year. We made 225 lbs. of honey and sold every bit we have bottled. We were planning how much more equipment we needed for next year but now we have to take another look at it.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Great news and not so great news!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:42:31 am »
Oh No Beer! that is tough to hear...  I'm so glad you're okay tho :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:59:35 am »
As much as I love my bees, ones health must take priority! The bees will be OK, take your time and take care of yourself first, and use that time to reflect. There are a few keeps here this has happened to so advice is available from those that have shared the experience.
You are among friends here! ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:08:59 am »
Beeracuda:

As Perry stated, you are among friends here, and we are all over joyed that you are still with us.  Blood pressures of 69/39 do not leave much to work with.  You are a fortunate person, and the bees are a secondary thing to your life and happiness.  Remember your life just doesn't belong to you but rather to your wife, family and many friends.  I agree with Perry that there are members on this forum that have experienced your reaction to the stings.  Listen to their advice and work accordingly. 

Take care of yourself and thank a merciful and loving God.

Lazy

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:29:42 am »
First off glad to hear that you survived they do sell sing proof suits, not comfortable, expensive ( used by usda for handling Africanized honeybees. )  there are always options, some better, some easier, depending on your tolerance for spending cash, sweat and effort/ energy. Just have to ask yourself the question you enjoyed beekeeping enough to spend the time, money and sweat equity the stay a beek.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Gypsi

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:48:10 am »
Having had a variety of allergies flare and recede without getting allergy shots I can tell you that anytime your immune system is challenged, whether by chemo or the flu, allergic reactions will be 10 times worse.   Thought you should take that into account as you plan.  And Yes, when you are ill in any way and marginally allergic, avoid the hives.  I do not mow near mine, I put pondliner down for a patch about 8 ft wide with them in the middle and the drought has done the rest, aint nothing to mow, just a little old pomegranate bush I keep watered.

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
Thank you for all the support.  Normally when I mowed the backyard, I would put my UltraBreeze suit on and would not have any problems.  The closest I got to the hives was probably 30' and was further away than that when they got me.  But, I should not have even been out there in the first place. 

I guess I will just have to make a little mead from some of this year's honey crop and hopefully by the time it is ready to drink, I will be ready to get back to the hives.

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 10:24:15 am »
Here is a picture of the Auvi-Q that I carry, instead of the Epi-pen.  It is much smaller and easier to carry.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:02:13 pm »
take care of yourself bc!

"Having had a variety of allergies flare and recede without getting allergy shots I can tell you that anytime your immune system is challenged, whether by chemo or the flu, allergic reactions will be 10 times worse."

what gypsi said i believe to be true, and especially true for any of us with immune or auto immune deficiencies.

thanks for the photo of the auvi-q, wow small, is there just one pen in there?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »

thanks for the photo of the auvi-q, wow small, is there just one pen in there?

That is one pen.  When you take the outside cover off, it talks to you.  It tells you that if you are ready to use it, take the safety guard off, where to use it and counts down through the use.  It is really a pretty neat deal.

They are sold in a two pac with a "training" unit.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:22:45 pm »
Gypsi, "and the drought has done the rest, aint nothing to mow, just a little old pomegranate bush I keep watered.

Same here Gypsi, we had serious crunchy grass all summer, the cooler weather is helping the lawn green up a bit but not much.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:35:51 pm »
"That is one pen.  When you take the outside cover off, it talks to you.  It tells you that if you are ready to use it, take the safety guard off, where to use it and counts down through the use.  It is really a pretty neat deal.
They are sold in a two pac with a "training" unit."

bc, thanks! if i might ask, what is the cost for the two pack?  are they similar in price to the epi-pen brand?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 01:42:08 pm »
I got the first one for free.  My co-pay was $40.00 for the refill.  My insurance company paid $345.85 of the $385.85 that the pharmacy billed.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 02:13:55 pm »
Hey Beer  :)  is there an expiration date on this unit? I know the Epi auto injector is one year

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 02:16:25 pm »
thanks bc, mine were free this year (epi-pen), insurance does cover the majority of my prescription for these. i may consider this brand for as small as it is.

i forgot, did you also take advantage of their zero dollar copay offer?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »
thanks bc, mine were free this year (epi-pen), insurance does cover the majority of my prescription for these. i may consider this brand for as small as it is.

i forgot, did you also take advantage of their zero dollar copay offer?

I did the first time.  I forgot my card the second time.  The insurance would only fill one or the other, so I opted for the Auvi-Q.

Hey Beer  :)  is there an expiration date on this unit? I know the Epi auto injector is one year

The expiration date on the one in my pocket is January 2015.  I didn't look to see when the new ones expire.  They had to order them, so I am sure they are fresh.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 02:31:55 pm »
I see, so probably the same as the Epipen, one year.

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:26 pm »
my sister in law has a phd in chemistry, so we grilled her about the expiration date on those things.  She says it's not a marketing gimmick, the epinephryn is not stable and degrades shortly after the expiration date.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 11:55:53 pm »
That is good to know Pete! Thanks  :)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 02:09:06 am »
"my sister in law has a phd in chemistry, so we grilled her about the expiration date on those things.  She says it's not a marketing gimmick, the epinephryn is not stable and degrades shortly after the expiration date."

?
pete, not sure what you mean? marketing gimmick? degradation shortly after expiration date?
i sure hope not. 
my epi's do not expire until july 2015.......these were ordered by my pharmacist in april or may. he didn't want to give me what he had on hand with less than a year expiration.  these have a window to determine whether or not the liquid is good or not, and storing them at room temp is a good idea; not in the fridge or in hot temps or now freezing temps in a vehicle. 

please explain?
Forum Sponsor