Author Topic: Is it time to sell the extractors?  (Read 16927 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Is it time to sell the extractors?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »

And yes, bring that camera and stack of pancakes down here in front of my hives.

:laugh: :yes:

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:15 pm »
Oops I think we have two threads on the same subject.  This thing is catching everyone's eye!
Not any more!  A good job of moderation.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 09:48:33 pm »
I'm reminded of a saying, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Have they coaxed the bees into not capping the cells?  Is there a decapper built in?  How do you check for moisture?  It should be an interesting reveal.
I'm guessing there is some kind of movable foundation, draining the cells from behind.....Pure speculation on my part.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 09:57:55 pm »
Michael Bush says it is real, and he has a few of them.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:12 am »
Iddee- "Michael Bush says it is real, and he has a few of them.

Well that kind of speaks for itself. I was thinking it would be nice for me cause I would only have a couple of these. Put a jar under, go mow the lawn/clover, come back to jarred honey.

Yankee- "Bees just keep depostitng and the cell never fill. But then how does it get cured?

Very good question  :yes:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 12:04:01 pm »
I would imagine that they have some sort of shutter on the back of the cell.  close it off and wait for it to be capped and then drain it off. I can't think of any other way you would 1 get it cured, or two get the type of flow they seem to be getting out of that tube.
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline ShepherdsWatchFarm

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 12:46:57 pm »
A quote from a beekeeper with the initials M.B.

"Well, as I see it, the kinks are worked out, although they keep trying to improve things.

I thought it was impossible when I first saw it. I actually wondered if it was a spoof or if it was real. But after seeing how it works and watching them do one frame in the open live on skype while I could see the entire frame and talk to them and after they sent me a box worth of them to test, I can assure you it works. My test of it so far is too small and over too short of a time to be sure what I think of it in practice, but I can't imagine that I'm going to find too many disadvantages. My issue now is, I'm not sure how I will manage my hives using them as it changes several things I have always done. First, I run all eight frame mediums and these are deeps, so I'll have to buy some deeps (which I already did). Second, it makes a hive much more static in size when you can empty the combs without even opening the hive really. No need to stack the supers up so high when you can just drain them periodically without having to clean up the extractor and all the equipment and the kitchen every time. Just draining it into a bucket eliminates all of that mess. The queen won't lay in them because they are too deep so you don't need an excluder (which I don't use, but some people do). You don't have to run the bees out to harvest so you eliminate all of that part of harvesting as well. In recent years I've had all the same size boxes and I try to leave them honey for winter. This may change my view of some of how I determine what to leave them since these are deeper combs and can't be used for brood I don't think I want them to cluster in them over winter. So I'll have to work out the details of how I will use them as far as when to put them on, take them off, drain them, how many mediums to have on below them etc. In other words, I'm pretty sure I'll be using them, it will just be too useful not to, but exactly how that impacts my total system I'm not really sure, until I've tried to work those details out.

When I first saw it I thought of this story from "Mastering the Art of Beekeeping" by Ormond and Harry Aebi:

" 'I want to buy one of your beehives' he said. 'I want you to bring it to me tomorrow at eleven in the morning and I want you to set it up on top of a ten foot pole that I'll have set up by that time. And I want you to come over every Thursday afternoon and drain out the honey so that I can have fresh honey every week.'... 'I can't place a beehive up on a pole like that,' I said. 'And even if I could, I couldn't work it to take off the honey.' 'Why not? I shall expect you to install a spigot at the bottom of the hive. All you'll have to do is open it and drain off the quantity of honey I require.' 'Beehives don't work that way,' I told him. 'I can't possibly do as you ask.'..."

And now beehives can work that way... "
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my beekeeping stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »
One possible downside is that would many of the new keeps using these actually continue to go through their hives doing inspections?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: ShepherdsWatchFarm

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »
One possible downside is that would many of the new keeps using these actually continue to go through their hives doing inspections?

That was one of my thoughts, too.  "Oh, beekeeping is easy now.  All I have to do is open the tap and I get honey!"  How many new people will get these and try to keep bees, and become frustrated and sell them after a year or two?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »
Don't you mean sell the empty equipment in a year or two?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »
"That was one of my thoughts, too.  "Oh, beekeeping is easy now.  All I have to do is open the tap and I get honey!"  How many new people will get these and try to keep bees, and become frustrated and sell them after a year or two?"

"Don't you mean sell the empty equipment in a year or two?"

better yet, buy one.  if you have a roadside stand as i do, with my hives in sight, the next time a customer complains about the price of my honey, i will point to it, and tell them to go get it themselves........... ;D.................. :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »
Don't you mean sell the empty equipment in a year or two?

Exactly right!   ;)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 06:03:26 pm »
I am GUESSING HERE that April 1 is still April fools day!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 09:41:26 pm »
Another cool way to do a roadside stand would be to have a hive with glass sides with only a few frames of bees on either side, with a reservoir of honey in the middle. Run a tube from the reservoir to a spigot on the outside. Basically a observation hive with a hidden honey reservoir that "dispenses" honey.  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:30 pm »
Here is a copy of the introductory email that I received from Flow Hive today.

Hi!

Thanks so much for your interest in the Flow hive. We (Cedar, Stu and our whole beekeeping family) are so excited to be letting you and the world know about the invention we have been working on for over a decade. The response has been quite overwhelming, thanks for all the amazing comments. We are working as fast as we can to complete a video that will show you all the details about the technology.

We want to tell you a little more about the Flow frames/hives, how they work, what we think this will mean for beekeeping and where we are at with producing them.

How do the Flow™ frames work?

The Flow frame consists of already partly formed honeycomb cells. The bees complete the comb with their wax, fill the cells with honey and cap the cells as usual. When you turn the tool, a bit like a tap, the cells split vertically inside the comb forming channels allowing the honey to flow down to a sealed trough at the base of the frame and out of the hive while the bees are practically undisturbed on the comb surface.

When the honey has finished draining you turn the tap again which resets the comb into the original position and allows the bees to chew the wax capping away, and fill it with honey again. The Flow frames are inserted into standard bee supers (boxes) in much the same way as standard frames, however the box itself is modified by cutting two access doorways in one end.

When the frames are inserted, the ends of the frames now form the end of the super. This allows access to the operating slots and honey pipe outlets.

You can see into the hive

Each Flow frame is designed with a unique transparent end allowing you to see into the hive. This means you can watch the bees turning nectar into honey and see when each comb is full and ready. Both children and adults get excited seeing the girls at work in their hive. Importantly you will be able to keep an eye on colony numbers thus giving you early detection of any problems within your hive.

Please note: it’s important to check the hive for disease and look after your colony as per usual.  This does require keeping an eye on your bees and opening the hive and inspecting the brood if there are signs of pests or disease. Beekeepers usually check their brood once or twice a year. If you are new to beekeeping you will need to seek help from experienced beekeepers.

It’s a fantastic learning curve.

The extraction process is not only easier but much faster with a flow hive

The whole harvesting process ranges from 20 minutes to two hours depending on the viscosity of the honey.

Usually the bees don’t even discover you at the back of the hive. If you notice that the bees have discovered the collecting jar or bucket you can always cover the extracting pipes or make a lid with a hole for the pipe/s.

There is no more heavy lifting

The harvesting happens right at the hive without moving the super boxes at all. No more injured backs!

Undisturbed bees makes a happier, healthier hive

Because the hives are not regularly opened and pulled apart to be harvested, the bees are relatively undisturbed and they experience less overall stress. Although this may seem trivial, bee stress is a significant factor contributing to the strength of a bee colony.

Opening a hive also risks potential introduction of pests and disease. It’s nice not to squash bees in the process of honey harvesting.

The risk of stings is lower

Because the bees are going about their normal business while you are harvesting the honey from the back of the hive. We have found that the bees usually don’t even notice that you are there.

We still recommend you use a bee suit or veil if you are inexperienced, don’t know the particular hive or have a grumpy hive. A hive that is usually calm  can be grumpy at times when the nectar flow is very slow.

Where to from here?

After many years of prototypes we now have a robust design that we have been testing for the last 3 years with beekeepers here in Australia as well as in America and Canada.

Now we want to share it with you.

The official launch of the Flow hive is on the 23rd of February

We are launching on the popular crowdfunding site Kickstarter.com.

Through our launch we hope to raise the funds to get this project off the ground and start producing and delivering these hives to you within the next four months.

Apparently, if a lot of people pledge early, then the whole thing snowballs. Conversely, if the pledging goes slowly then the project is less likely to fly. In our case we hope many people who want a Flow super to add to their beehive or who want a whole Flow beehive (the bees have to be obtained locally) will pledge on the 23rd or 24th giving us a chance to reach our target and start production.

The early pledges get an additional ‘early bird’ discount off the already discounted price giving an extra incentive to pledge quickly.

We’ll send you a reminder when the Kickstarter crowd-funding time begins on February 23rd, and we will be putting some more videos on our Facebook page and website soon.

We are also making a FAQ page on our website to answer all the great questions that are flooding in.

All the best!

Stu and Cedar Anderson
 Our website is http://www.honeyflow.com/
 Our FB page http://www.facebook.com/flowhive

Maybe this will answer a few questions or cause more!

Offline aussiebee

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 06:49:19 am »
Hi all, I'm a friend of the inventors, we've just put up a FAQs page to try and answer some of your questions:
http://www.honeyflow.com/faqs/p/22

There's a heap of info there, our biggest issue right now it dealing with demand, its totally blown us all away, so we can't possibly reply to all emails, we're doing all we can to keep people updated until the big reveal, Feb 23 on Kickstarter.

As Michael says, its already fully operational and in limited production, I dare say (not sure though) that Michael's frames might even be an earlier prototype to the one being made now. Cedar and Stu do love to tinker with getting it just right.

Y.

---

What are Flow™ frames?
“Flow™” is the name for our new invention that allows honey to be harvested directly from the hive without opening the hive and with little disturbance to the bees. The Flow frames are the beehive frames that make this possible.

What is a Flow™ Hive?
A Flow Hive is our term for a standard beehive using a brood box with one or more Flow Supers for honey storage and extraction. A honeybee hive is usually made up two boxes; the brood box where the queen bee lays eggs, and the ‘super’ with honeycomb for the storage of honey. A ‘Flow Super’ is a beehive box using Flow Frames that the bees store honey in.

How do the Flow™ frames work?
The Flow frame consists of already partly formed honeycomb cells. The bees complete the comb with their wax, fill the cells with honey and cap the cells as usual. When you turn the tool, a bit like a tap, the cells split vertically inside the comb forming channels allowing the honey to flow down to a sealed trough at the base of the frame and out of the hive while the bees are practically undisturbed on the comb surface.

When the honey has finished draining you turn the tap again in the upper slot resets the comb into the original position and allows the bees to chew the wax capping away, and fill it with honey again.

How do I stop the bees getting to the honey while it’s draining out of the Flow hive?
Quite often we can drain the honey out without the bees even noticing us at the back of the hive but sometimes they do and you will need to cover the the jars or better still, make a sealed system. This can be achieved by simply by making a hole in the lid of a jar for a tube to go into. Or if you are using a bucket, you can put many holes through the lid of a bucket or make up a manifold.

Do I need a Flow box for the brood box too?
No, the brood box stays the same as it always has been. You can simply replace the honey supers on a standard beehive with one or more Flow Supers.

Can I fit the Flow frames into my existing beehives?
We want this to be as affordable as possible so we have designed it so you can use your own boxes. The Flow frames are designed to fit Langstroth size deep boxes and are inserted into standard bee supers (boxes) in much the same way as standard frames. The box itself is slightly modified by cutting two access doorways in one end. When the frames are inserted, the ends of the frames now form the end of the super. This allows access to the operating slots and honey pipe outlets.

Does the Flow Super fit an 8 or 10 frame Langstroth hive?
The flow frames will fit either an 8 or 10 frame Langstroth. A full “8 frame, deep” Super would take six Flow frames, and the 10 frame super would take 7 Flow frames as they are wider than traditional frames. It is also possible to have a combination of traditional Langstroth frames and Flow frames in the one Super.

Can I put a Flow Super on a UK National?
Yes, this can be done in two ways:
1/ Use an adaptor from UK National to Langstroth size box. This can be made or bought so that the more common Langstroth size box can be used.
2/ The Flow frames are available in lengths to suit a UK national. Eight Flow frames fit across a UK national box. However UK National boxes and frames have different depths than Langstroth. The box walls height can be adjusted by adding a strip of wood to the bottom of the box.

Can I put a Flow Super on a top bar hive?
Yes and it will be up to you as to how to adapt and join the two. As long as the bees have good access to the Flow frames and sense that they are a part of their hive they will fill them with honey.

Do the bees willingly fill the Flow comb compared to the traditional wax comb?
In many years of testing we have found the bees readily wax up and fill the Flow frames. We have done quite a few experiments putting Flow frames in the middle of a standard supers with wax foundation frames either side. The bees have shown no preference either way and readily start building on, and filling the Flow frames at the same time as the traditional ones.

How long does it take before I can drain the honey from the Flow hive?
This depends on the amount of nectar available for the bees and how strong the colony is. We have had Flow Supers that have filled in a week during peak times of the flowering season, however a super usually fills well within a month during the spring and summer.

How long does it take for the honey to drain out?
Anything from twenty minutes to over two hours depending on the temperature and the viscosity of the honey. It is OK to leave it draining overnight (if it is secure from nocturnal animals). When you have finished draining the honey remember to return the frames to ‘cell closed’ position so that the bees can seal the broken cells and recommence filling them with more honey.

How much honey comes out of a Flow super?
About three kilos per frame (more if the bees really build each frame out), if you have seven frames in your super box then you can expect to harvest at least 20 kilos when every frame is full.

Can the Flow frames come out of the super, like the standard frames do?
Yes. This is important for inspections and because this is how most hives in the world work. However there is no need for this in the normal operations of extracting honey.

What extra equipment will I need to get the honey?
You will need a container to collect your honey. You will also need some pipe to connect your jar or bucket to the honey drain points on the hive. You will also need a bee suit and gloves or at least a bee veil in case your bees get aggressive. You will also need to open the hive to inspect it for health as usual which you will need a bee suit, smoker and hive tool for. If you are new to beekeeping you should link up with an experienced beekeeper to get to know how to care for your bees.

How do I know when to harvest/drain the hive?
The ends of the Flow frames are visible by taking the cover off one end of the hive box. It is worth having a look at the bees regularly through this window as you’ll get to know your hive and it doesn’t disturb the bees. You will see the bees depositing honey in the cells and, when the cells are full, they seal them with a wax capping. You can rob a frame as soon as you see that it is full, although there is no hurry, the sealed honey will keep until it is convenient for you to drain it out of the hive.

Do I need to smoke the hive?
No, not when you are operating the flow comb or just viewing the bees. Smoke is usually used to calm the bees when the hive is opened. However, bees do react to the hive being jolted so it’s a good idea to have a smoker on hand in case the bees do start getting aggressive. A little smoke puffed into the entrance of the hive and some puffed around the hive itself will tend to calm them down. You will still need a smoker to do the routine inspection of the brood nest.

Do I need to wear a bee suit, bee veil or gloves when I drain the honey out?
We do recommend you wear a bee protective suit, especially if you are new to beekeeping or have a new, unknown hive. Some beekeepers just use a veil as being stung on the face - particularly up the nose is painful and inconvenient!

We have found we can work at the back of the hive without the bees seeming to notice our presence, however we highly recommend that you wear a bee suit or at least a veil until you get to know your bees. Sometimes, for many reasons, bees can be quite aggressive so you need to be prepared for that.

After a few inspections you will know whether it is safe to approach your hives without any protection.

Is there a best time of day to rob the hive using Flow?
It is possible to harvest a Flow hive at any time of the day or night because the hive is not opened. There is not the concern of chilling or disturbing the bees on cold or windy days.

We have found the bees are calmest in the late afternoon, and at this time the honey in the hive is likely to be warmest and runs easily, therefore we tend to rob at this time.

How often do I need to check the brood?
This depends on your location. In our area it is normal to inspect the brood nest of each hive twice a year for disease. In some areas beekeepers check more frequently. If the hive is weak it should also be inspected. Our invention changes the honey harvesting component of beekeeping. All the rest of the normal beekeeping care for the hive still applies. Beetles, mites swarm control etc. The flow hive clear end frame observation does assist with allowing you to look into the hive and gauge the strength and health of the colony.

How many Flow boxes (supers) do I need per hive?
One Flow super per hive is the simple answer as you can keep tapping off the honey which gives the bees room to keep working and making more honey. However if you live in areas with a very high nectar flow or if your existing beehives are particularly large we would recommend you use two Flow supers or more. The Flow hive is new and we are interested in your feedback as to how many Flow supers you need in your situation

Do I need to leave some honey in the hive for the bees?
Yes, this applies to all beekeeping, your bees need honey to get them through the times when there is no nectar available. The number of frames of honey that you leave depends on your climate, you should consult local beekeepers as to how much they leave their colonies over the winter. The Flow frames make it a lot easier to see how much honey is in your frames at any time, so you can learn to manage how much honey to harvest and how much to leave for the bees. Watching the honey level change everyday is quite fascinating and I personally feel more in touch with the bees and cant help but look on a daily basis. You can also take just a small amount of honey if you choose, by draining one frame or part of a frame. Some Beekeepers do feed sugar syrup to their bees to help them get through the cold winter months. They rarely use honey for feeding as this could spread disease and is a lot more expensive than sugar.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 08:46:46 am »
thanks for posting this.  it answers some of the questions I had.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 09:53:22 am »
Welcome to the forum Aussiebee.  You've entered with an important and valuable post.  I figure we'll be looking forrward to hearing a lot from you in the future---especially since you have so much to offer on a topic about which we know virtually nothing. :welcome:

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 01:57:09 pm »
Is it me or is everything robust this year?  I guess that's the word of the year for 2015.   :eusa_doh:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 03:09:42 pm »
It looks like an interesting system that should work well. the factor that will determine the success will come down to the cost of the frames. at the hobby level it with the frames being worth about $30.00 per super and the saved cost of exacting equipment, the increased cost of the Flow Frames will not be a deterrent. Depending on the cost (which I have not seen any pricing of as of yet) will determine at what size of operation will it become cost prohibitive to changing over to the flow hive system.
In the video they show a single Flow Super on a single brood super hive, this setup for running of a hive is to small of space and will cause the bees to become crowed which will lead to swarming if intensive hive manipulations are not done on a regular basses. To provide the queen the space she needs to lay and the bees to congregate the hive should be 2 brood supers and 2 supers for honey. In my opinion a minimum of 2 Flow Supers should be used on each hive, that is 14 Flow Frames per hive.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.