Author Topic: Soap debut  (Read 15164 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Soap debut
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:58:43 pm »
Started selling our soap this weekend. So far so good. we'll see what folks think.

Biggest seller so far lol.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Soap debut
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 06:43:32 am »
Very nice looking product. I don't know where you find the time. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 07:49:52 am »
I'm with Perry, it's a very neat looking product.  You are developing a full line of bee products.  It's good to know that much about your business, but remember to focus on the better "bottom line" products.  When we started our consulting firm, we offered a broad based approach to it.  Down the road, we found that there were two services that complimented each other well and that each of these services provided better profit.  See which product has the better bottom line profit after all considerations are considered.  You may want to keep a little bit of many things but concentrate on a few items.  Anyway, the soap looks like a million dollars. 

We here on the forum, are happy that you are with us, as you keep on bringing new ideas to the table.  You are an innovator.  Good on you!

As a sidebar:  Perry said, "I don't know where you find the time?"  Lazy people just think that way.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:06:54 pm »
Looks great Yankee. Do you have the ingredient listed on the back of the soap or the scent? Looks good enough to eat. Reminds me of the guy selling fudge at the fair.
It just made me crave sweets, going to have to walk to the store for a bar. Thanks Like I needed one.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:23 pm »
Yea, ingredients on the back.

Scent on the front under the skep .

Web site on the side of the label.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »
Thanks Lazy and Perry,

My son is helping me know and we are doing a lot of stuff, We will see what sticks and what is the best profit/fun and move away from the ones that are not. I think the soap is going to do really well though,

We have started selling some honey n a few stores now as well and it seems to be doing well.

This summers harvest was around 2,400 lbs (200) gallons. We are burning through it extremely fast. Maybe 50 gallons left? :) Never would have thought. The orders just keep coming. Nuts I tell ya.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:56:25 am »
Love the labels and the play on words ~ Fun and a great gift item
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:52:57 am »
We have started selling some honey n a few stores now as well and it seems to be doing well.
This summers harvest was around 2,400 lbs (200) gallons. We are burning through it extremely fast. Maybe 50 gallons left? :) Never would have thought. The orders just keep coming. Nuts I tell ya.
I have a couple places selling my honey but I am starting to turn others away, and am not sure I want to expand on the idea. Something about selling my honey jars wholesale ($4.50/500g and $9.50/kilo) and then seeing it marked up to $8/500g and $13/kilo that just doesn't sit right with me. All of the hard work my bees and myself do, and someone else just sets it on a small shelf and makes almost half of what I do?
The bees don't produce enough honey for me to justify selling out at wholesale prices when I could still end up selling out at full retail. Until you find yourself sitting on a stockpile that you can't seem to move, selling wholesale doesn't make sense.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 07:54:38 am »
"Until you find yourself sitting on a stockpile that you can't seem to move, selling wholesale doesn't make sense."

Boy howdy, does the above ever make sense.

Don't forget about the RISK.  You are risking your money and prosperity on your bees.  If the weather is bad or some CCD thing or whatever happens and your bees fail, you are the one going broke.  The retailer just buys something else on the cheap to fill his shelves.  A sidebar follows:

In the mid to late 60's I had the financial backing to start a residential construction company.  I built and sold six homes before reality struck me.  Back then the market was competitive and nice 2,000 square foot homes were selling for 40 grand.  I was sitting in a closing with the clients, realtors, lawyers and etc, when it dawned on me that the realtor got $1,600, the bank took a two points plus interest for a total of about $2,000, the title company took about $1,000, the lending mortgage company took two points for $800 and minor recording fees and lawyer service took another grand.  So when the smoke cleared I netted about 3,500 bucks and the other players took away approximately 5,800 bucks.  I was the only one libel for anything.  If the house didn't sell I was stuck for the 40 grand, and yet most of the gross profit went to others.  That is what put me into the oil field.

Remember the risk. 

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 10:01:53 am »
Thank you guys/gals for the discussion. I am still trying to find my way and I agree with some of what you are saying.

I am doing 30% and they are just a few local home owned stores. A hardware store, a coffee shop, a Amish natural food shop, I really thought with this years harvest 200 gallons I need to find a few outlets to move some of it. 

Lazy- I absolutely agree with you, this country is full of skimmers and not so many producers anymore. This will eventually fix itself and my feeling is that is coming pretty soon.  :) The parasites are in the process of killing their hosts. IMHO of course.

This country needs a good Oxalic Acid Treatment.  :D

Now, back to beekeeping, ive said my peace.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 10:56:30 am »
Lazy and Yankee,

Hear Here!
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 05:10:33 pm »
Lol  ;D

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 06:43:44 pm »
Okay Yankee.... What does Buht Ney-kid smell like, Hhhm?  :eusa_think:

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 07:04:13 pm »
actually good. I am terrible at smell descriptions but I can tell you everybody that has smelled it likes it.

It is also the 1st one that has sold out, guess we will start another batch,

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
Keep on keeping on, looks nice , can't wait, to try to hopefully

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 09:21:05 pm »
78 bars sold since Monday.  :)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 12:52:52 am »
Look and smell good enough to eat.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 07:01:19 am »
Very nice, right down to the packaging. You don't do anything half ways! :goodjob:
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 12:39:30 pm »
As Perry correctly said, "Yankee does not do anything half-way."  I think Yankee can up his honey production a bit and make a solid honey based business.  Then as an add-on his specialty products can produce some big profit on the ancillary items from the hive.  Yankee is in the process of making a very nice agricultural based business.  Profits follow those that retail their own products via "yankee" ingenuity.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »
Yankee, you are such an inspiration for bee products!  :eusa_clap: