Author Topic: $2.00 a box!  (Read 4671 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
$2.00 a box!
« on: July 01, 2016, 07:11:06 pm »
I am so far behind it feels like I am out front!
I have every honey super to my name on hives and I have just been going flat out. I have 70 deeps and 140 mediums built but still need to put in the hand holds and prime and 2 coats of paint.
My son is work "challenged", and efforts to get him involved have been frustrating, so I used a new tact. I offered the job of painting to the girl across the street (same age) after I grew frustrated with him procrastinating. When he heard he suddenly took interest. They each get $2 a box for priming and then 2 coats of paint. I have 50 boxes in the picture so they will each earn $50. Not bad for 14 year olds. The prime and first coat can be done on the same day but the second coat of paint has to wait 24 hours.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: $2.00 a box!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »
You can dip a box in this in about a minute and never have to do it again.Material cost, less than 1.00 CAD per box.

http://www.ecowoodtreatment.com/

For the US, Beez Needz sells this for 14.95 plus shipping. It is all I use any more. Painting is long gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Wood-Treatment-2-Oz/dp/B007PF8GH2
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:00:33 pm »
I like the color Perry!  My boxes are the color of the returned paint at Home Depot so I get some pretty colorful ones at times.  Reminds me of my first job many years ago.  It was in Willows, CA and the local hardware store had a sign in the paint department that read "Husbands picking out paint color must present permission slip from their wife before we will mix it!"  Must happen a lot at Home Depot but at $5/gallon, I don't care what color it is and neither do the bees :laugh: :laugh:
Chip

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »
Perry says: "... so I used a new tact. I offered the job of painting to the girl across the street (same age) after I grew frustrated with him procrastinating. When he heard he suddenly took interest."

Perry, I thought you were a beekeeper.  :bee: :bee: Now I KNOW that you are a natural born PSYCHOLOGIST at heart.  :yes:
Brilliant thinking.   :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: