Author Topic: I'm still afraid doing inspections  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Newbee

I'm still afraid doing inspections
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:52:01 pm »
Yeah, I'll admit it.... 6-foot 4, over 250 lbs, and a 3 gram bug gives me the heebie-jeebies because it's got a stinger!  :'(  :laugh:

I'm entering my 3rd year keeping bee's, and I've always had a hard time going into the hive for an inspection. As a result, I'm certainly not doing it as often as I should! (that being said, I'm a firm believer in providing for nature's needs, and letting her do her thing, but all the same, I'm man enough to admit I should be getting in there more often).

Today I checked on the hive around noon, very light activity, temps warming into the 60's, nothing planned for the afternoon, I said "that's it, I'm going in (first time this year)"! Went back to the house, piddled around, mixed up some sugar water,  went out the hive, and it was getting attacked (AGAIN! - Another thread coming on this soon). Tried smoking them out, no luck, so I put everything away and slunk back into the house.

Any suggestions on 'getting over it'?

I know a part of my problem is my 'suit' - it's really just an old pair of sweats, bee-gloves, and a veil. I imagine I'd feel better in a full suit, but it's just not in the budget for a spell. I've been stung many times before, not allergic, minor inconvenience, I don't mind THAT much.... but I still manage to talk myself out of doing an inspection more often than I would care.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

- K

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: I'm still afraid doing inspections
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:12:35 pm »
Smoke, wait 3 minutes, smoke again. Lift top off and smoke tops of frames. Light smoke, too much smoke is worse than not enough smoke. Then move outer or next frame out. Move next frame sideways, then out. Move slow and don't bump the frame.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:35:05 pm »
What iddee says.  I would add:  Stand behind the hive when you work it.  If you can't stand behind then stand to the side, but don't stand between the hive and the sun. 

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:22:36 pm »
X2 what iddee an b13 said. Ya know the old saying that a dog or horse can tell, I'm not saying bee's can . I'm 4 yrs in and I can say that gentleness and going slow work's miracles with bee's. Being apprehensive before you start going in boxes and then try to rush things is not a good combination. It took me 2 yr to understand that. When I first started bee's the guy that was as I thought was a mentor, I'd get stung 2-3 times every time. After I met iddee and other experienced beeks , that were careful and slow inspection is how it's done not wearing nothing! Heck I talk to them. But as B13 said your position around hive can make a lot of difference.
As said my first mentor would rush through say 15 hives, dropping frames hard and moving boxes on and off the top quick not good , we could be 50 yards after and get run off!
There's a lot of beeks that claim they have a hot apiary
, not saying that's not true . But me as a beek I think I can control a lot of that. Just my opinion.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 07:58:16 pm »
Thanks Mikey, I do make it a habit of approaching from the side for observation or inspection. I'll have to give the back a try. I tried talking to my last hive, thinking they would recognize my voice. Apparently they did, because they gradually started attacking me more quickly every time!  :laugh:

I see there's quite a few of you folks on the other side of the mountains... We should have a get together somewhere's one of these days!

- K

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:27 pm »
Hi Newbee, I think it would be real nice to have another beekeeper come and help. Just two or three visits into your hives with you can calm you down considerably. Do you have a bee club or association where you can attend meetings?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Newbee

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 02:15:35 am »
Thanks Jen! Yes, there's a few clubs in the area, and Slowmodem lives nearby. He's come out to help with inspections a few times. It does help when someone else is there, but  I just don't seem to have gotten over 'it' yet. By myself I'm still a nervous wreck.
Thanks again!

- K

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 12:48:38 pm »
A couple years ago one of the new members in our bee association came up to me and asked if I would help him get into his hives. He said he was terrified to lift the lid, but that he really wanted to be a beekeeper. He did have an inexpensive suit and veil. Of course I did go and help. He got a sting thru that suit. So he invested in a more costly suit that would prevent any stings. It really helped him stay more calm when he went to his hives on his own.

You might consider putting out a request to the other bee clubs for a used full body bee suit. It does help to feel like you have a good suit of armor on when going into the hives. Craig's list might have used suits as well.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 05:02:41 pm »

You might consider putting out a request to the other bee clubs for a used full body bee suit. It does help to feel like you have a good suit of armor on when going into the hives. Craig's list might have used suits as well.
Excellent suggestion.  I see ads where people are leaving beekeeping, trying to sell their woodenware.  You might ask if they have any protective equipment for sale.

Mikey:  How true!  "Some folks claim they have a hot apiary..."

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 07:35:41 pm »
On edit:

My post wasn't very helpful.  See below.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 08:52:20 pm »
1st. for me today, 2 bee's crawled up my pants leg :laugh: can't do nothing but let'em crawl :laugh:

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 10:02:50 pm »
come on now. man up. go down to your hives in your underwear & get them really mad. ;D
seriously though sweats not the best choice. the bees can get stuck in that material. wear jeans & a denim shirt sure until you find a suit.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 10:16:44 pm »
My first beesuit was a Sears and Roebuck coveralls, I’ll fitting boots, and a veil I wore over an old fishing hat. My gloves were also from Sears and we’re/are rubber coated.

I had no idea what I was doing. This was about a year before the “Killer Bees” crossed the border.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 11:41:18 pm »
1st. for me today, 2 bee's crawled up my pants leg :laugh: can't do nothing but let'em crawl :laugh:
You can always dance...it works for me.  Sometimes.  ;)
Lee_Burough

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 10:17:44 am »
I apologize for my earlier post.  It wasn't very relevant to your situation.  I have a bad habit of only reading the first few lines and then responding.

Sounds like you need a new suit.  As mentioned above, ask for those in your community if you can borrow a suit until you can buy one.  Most of us buy a suit when we first start out, only to learn that it isn't really what we want.  The first suit ends up being a "guest suit."

In the meantime, use two layers of clothes and duct tape any openings.  Have someone inspect you before you head out to the bees.

You've been stung before.  You will get stung again.  That's what makes you a beekeeper and not a "bee haver".

Best of luck to you.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 12:03:42 pm »
Wman, you just made the top of my list of being a considerate person  ;) But I do understand your comment in your first post.

Newbee, what ever decision you make, pro or con beekeeping, will be the right one, trust yourself. When I think of a hobby, I think of something that will bring creativity and solace from the world, not fear. If 30,000 stinging insects don't do that for you, then by all means let another beekeeper add your hives to their own apiary.

Think about this too, if your hives are in another apiary, you could go visit them on the days you feel confident to do so. Then, you won't be letting your colonies down, or let them die out.. they will be cared for the way you want them to be cared for, and you could be a sideline beekeeper.

Another idea, if you let your hives go to another apiary, the beekeeper caring for them can sell them, and you two could split the cost. Or, you can sell them yourself, get a little jingle in your jeans. Or, you can simply give them to another beekeeper.

Whatever your decision, it's the perfect time of year to figure out what you want to do. 'May the force be with you'  ;) 8)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 02:50:15 pm »
Mikey N. C. I have a bad habit of leaning frames up against the hive when checking my hives, and sometimes they get up my pant leg :o But, if they haven't got out or stung me before they get above the knee ??? I declare WAR !!! :yes:

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 09:16:21 pm »
I find it strange that my fear of being stung is worse than the sting itself.  The line, "a coward dies a thousand deaths but a brave man tastes death but once", goes through my head quite often during the season.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 10:41:33 pm »
Ted "a coward dies a thousand deaths but a brave man tastes death but once", goes through my head quite often during the season.

:D Ted, you always amaze me! My first three years were terrible! If I hadn't found wwb, I would have thrown in the towel long before now.