Author Topic: I'm still afraid doing inspections  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Newbee

Re: I'm still afraid doing inspections
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:29 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions and good humor!   :laugh:
I would like to continue with the hobby, this is just one of the many things I have to 'learn'. It's funny, was using it as a lesson for the kids how sometimes you have to suck it up and get over it in life, whether it's something at school, work, neighbors, hobbies, etc.
Did get into the hive(s) yesterday, because I had a swarm to deal with! Fortunately my 12-year old shared some bravery, put HIS suit on (we got a full-blown one on sale at Tractor Supply for 75% a year ago, but it's too small for me!), and I doubled up my clothing and we went in. My work-jacket is a thicker, plasticy-kinda-canvas, and keeps the bee's out. Had shorts on under my sweats, and muck boots up to my knee's, man, must have been a sight!  :D All the same, nary a stinger in either of us. Granted a lot of that had to do with the fact that the bee's were more interested in the queen than me, but... Anyways, thanks again for all the help. They wifey said she knows what to get me for Christmas this year...  O:-)

- K

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 11:03:44 am »
CHRISTMAS! You Need That Suit Now Mr. Newbee!  :D

Do you have any honey from that last 3 years you've been beekeeping?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Newbee

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 12:30:20 pm »
Do you have any honey from that last 3 years you've been beekeeping?

I pulled ONE frame from my medium super the first year I had bee's, but I think it was mostly sugar syrup, LOL! Last year I didn't take anything from the hive, as it was a new-package installed that year (1st bee's were robbed out and died). I would like to get at least a jar or two this year, but have to up my game, LOL! Hopefully this swarm I had will turn into a 2nd hive for me, increasing my chances!

- K

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 06:40:06 pm »
Misery loves company!  My son Josh and I started out doing inspections together and still do if schedules allow.  Ive pulled honey supers by myself the last couple of years (the bees don't seem to like that) and I insisted he share the joy last year.  Yes, misery loves company!  Besides, it gives us a story to share.  I'm glad your son stepped up.

Off subject story:  Josh and I were checking sugar cakes in Feburary, it was chilly so josh had overalls on under his bee jacket.  Walking through a field after checking one yard we saw a mouse scurrying around.  I yelled, "mouse!  Get him Josh"!  So josh is chasing the mouse around and quick as you can blink the mouse went up Josh's overalls leg!  Up and up the mouse went with Josh screeching and squeeling doing a vary vigorous dance!  Did I mention he still had his veil on?  Yeah boy!  Mouse popped out the neck hole and raced around inside the veil!  Good times brother, good times.

Back to the topic.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, Newbee

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 10:01:10 pm »
Ted! That's just nuts! What a great story... :D :laugh: :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 09:20:59 pm »
OMG!!! I am hysterical right now!! TED you HAVE to USE the recording device on your phone more often.. man i would have paid to see that!!!!!

When I started beekeeping, I was thirteen or fourteen, and we... didn't have veils, or wear suits. I helped an old guy take care of his hives.. he told me to get used to getting stung, and letting bees crawl on me.. and, I was more or less FORCED to get used to it, if I wanted the job and the money he offered..  There was no internet, there was no one else I knew to teach me, so I learned to do it HIS way...
   My wife still screams when a bee lands on her.. i let it crawl around happily.. Usually they fly off on their own...  I can't tell you how to get used to it... I can only tell you how I did.. and that was by... getting stung... and letting them crawl on me...  I admit freely, there were a couple times I was HOOFING it down the gravel road for home with a whole swarm of bees follwoing me.. usually when the old bugger told me to yank "that" board off the shed and see if there are bees, or SHAKE THAT BRANCH and see if you can get them all to fall....   I have, several times in my life, been stung 50 plus times...   Thick brush or cornfields are best to run into btw...  something about flying in the thick cover makes most of them turn away...    I can say, that after dealing with 50 plus stings, One or two stings seems pretty mundane :)
   A hive under attack is bad news, for you and for the bees...  a wet sheet thrown over the hive will usually calm them down, ans stop an immediate attack/threat  then you have to use a screened entrance, or somehow BLOCK direct flight into the entrance with a board or something... it should allow the bees to exit the sides, but no robbers will be able to ZIP straight in anymore....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 08:51:30 am »
Hey Newbee, I had one of those toss and turn nights, waking at 2:00 AM, just laying there and started to think about this topic.  At this point I'm still uncertain if the "fear" comes from inexperience, not sure what you're looking for, or at, during inspections or if indeed it's the fear of getting stung.  Maybe even a mixture of the two?  If its concern over getting stung here's something to think about:  a misquoted quote from Tecumseh (I think), The first 2 millimeters of the sting are a fact, the remaining six inches is all in your head.  If its the inexperience, not being sure what you are trying to accomplish or how to accomplish your objective during an inspection here's something to think about.
  Have you ever noticed the correctness of the saying 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the people?  I'm not sure I agree 100% but I do believe that busy people are busy because they "take things on".  So, my guess is that you have a fairly busy schedule?  I get it.  I do too.  However here's my suggestion, as it worked for me.  Find a beekeeper in your area, next door would be great but when better options aren't available next best will have to do.  You may have to drive a ways, I did.  Find a beekeeper, find out his/her inspection schedule and show up.  Watch, listen, ask questions.  My first season of beekeeping I hooked up with a cat called LazyBkpr.  I kept showing up and he kept letting me.  We talked about what he was doing, why he was doing it and other options of accomplishing the same task.  That went on all summer, every week I'd show up and every week I'd learn a bit more and gain a bit more confidence.  So much so that I'd go home brimming with confidence and promptly make a mess of my hive , only to have Lazy help me walk it back later.  From that I now know that there are few mistakes I can make in a hive that the bees, or someone else, cant help me fix.  It's how I learned and how I'm still learning.  As I said, that went on all summer.  Winter rolled around, and I kept showing up so Lazy showed me how to build hive components.  Okay, so he built them and I watched.  Yes, he built MY components and I watched.  Seems like every time I'd touch one of his tools I'd break it, nervous probably, so I started painting the components, it's hard to break a paint brush, not impossible, but difficult.  From that winters experience I now have the confidence (and tools to break) to build my own components.  A new cat stopped by my house last season and we started building HIS components!  That seems to be the cycle.  One beekeeper helps out another, that beekeeper helps another, that beekeeper helps out.......  I'm sure you get my point.  Anyway, I know you're busy, but do think about it. 
  Oh, The bee sting thing?  Yeah, still freaks me out.  On the other hand it gives Lazy something to laugh at/about and there's something to be said about adding some humor into this world.  Good luck!   Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 05:14:12 pm »
heheheheh    If a bee lands on Teds face his glasses are guaranteed to go at least 15 feet...    :laugh:    but it sure is nice to have someone to talk to while working hives.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »
Hey Scott!  How are the bees?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 11:38:28 pm »
Hi Ted and Scott, I remember so well all the posts from you two when Ted was the newbee and Scott was the mentor, always entertaining! But we all learned from your posts, and relaxed a little bit more with each post because all of us here are going thru it together.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:44 am »
Thanks tedh! Great story, great advice!
I had hooked up with Slowmodem a few times, and we still see each other a few times a year, but with his work schedule and mine, yeah, it's tough. This couple I met through the local county club have relatives very closer by, and work closer, so hopefully we can get together a few more times this year. I think you're right on both parts.. part of it is the fear, part of it is the ignorance. Once I get my getup on, I'm usually OK for a little while, but if I run into an unkown, or the girls start giving my head fly-by's, I get nervous and close it up. Working the hive with my new friends was very helpful. Could ask questions, he would talk about what he was doing and why, also. Hopefully we'll get together a few more times this year, and help boost my confidence and knowledge.
Mentioned wanting to do a mite-check, too, and it was funny. He was all for it, had a bottle of alcohol in his hive-tool-box.... His wife and I were aghast, told him no-way, we're using powdered sugar! Not going to kill off 100 of my bee's....  :laugh:

Thanks again.

- Kevin

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 12:20:26 pm »
Newbee! I love you for that! Thank you for not killing your bees to simply see if there are mites. So Much Respect For You!

A suggestion: Every time you get into a hive, Any Hive, get back with us and tell what you found out, tell us about your stings, tell us about mold you found on the frames, tell us Anything!

Trust me! I was the biggest pain in the booty on this forum during my first year. I posted most every day with questions and no one complained, they just kept answering my questions. I am deeply indebted to this forum.