Author Topic: Size of humidifiers used by small beekeeps to remove moisture from extracted hon  (Read 2085 times)

Offline jbaggerley

I have seen several post about removing moisture form extracted honey.  I have some that is in the 18-20% range and want to make it less.  When I extracted it the humidity was about 70 to 80%. We have had an extremely wet year. I would like  know the size of the areas, and the size of the humidifiers used to remove the moisture to the 17% area. I only have about 20 gallons that are suspect. Small bee keeper from North Texas. Thanks.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Since the honey is already extracted, I would put it in something that will create the most surface area.  You will probably have to leave the dehumidifier on for several days, maybe more.  Stirring periodically should help too. Any dehumidifier should work.  Just keep checking and emptying the tank of the dehumidifier when needed.  I would put it in a room/space that is small, if possible.
BTW, welcome to the forum!  Don't be a stranger. :welcome:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
jbaggerley, I moved this post to General Beekeeping.  I think more people will read it and respond to it here.   Please feel free to write a little something about yourself in the Welcome section.  We are a friendly group!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Good heavens.. have I REALLY been gone this long?  SO MANY new posts....  but in the interest of future reference....
    I extracted slightly "wet" honey few years ago, and not SURE what to do.. I stole the wifes dehumidifier, put it into an enclosed 12 by 12 room with the honey in open 5 gal buckets.... Stirred about every other day. Two weeks later it was DOWN 3% moisture. I let it run a third week to bring it down another 1.5% before I bottled it...  Apparently it worked, its all still in the bottles!!!!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers