Author Topic: Do queens stop laying during hot weather?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline goforlow

Do queens stop laying during hot weather?
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:17:15 am »
Hi,

I did hive inspections last evening.  My last inspection was 19 days previous.  Yes, I know it was too long! I am already kicking myself.  But, on the last inspection, I saw all stages of brood, eggs, larve and capped.  This time, I have a good supply of capped brood, even got to watch 2 bees hatch out! First time in my own hives!  But, I did not see many new larve.  It was cloudy and later in the evening, but I should have seen many in the 6-8 day stages, at least!  The weather here has gotten rather hot and very humid. Hi 80's to low 90's F.  And staying in the 70's at night.  One of my hives has been laying like crazy prior to this.  The other has been producing less all year.  Both hives started this spring, from package bee's, with drawn frames and some honey frames when started.  Hives sit about 14" apart.  Both have plenty of pollen, nectar and honey.  1 has a super on, but it is not being used much. I did have a hive swarm on me last year, so I know what the hive should look like if they swarmed, and I do not see that.  I have a good quantity of bees.  Also, the bees in both hives were very calm. Thank you for your help and advise.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Do queens stop laying during hot weather?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:44:02 am »
First, I don't think 19 days, "or any number", is too long. I heft the back of each hive when in the apiary and watch the entrance for a while. If I have a reason to look inside, I do. Otherwise I may go any length of time without opening a hive.
I would check again in a week to 10 days. If no larva or eggs then, I would be thinking queenless. We have been in the upper 80's and lower 90's and I still have full frames of eggs and larva.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline goforlow

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 10:32:41 pm »
I was planning to wait a week and recheck.   I can see my hives from my kitchen window, so I do "remote" checks on my hives a few times every day with binoculars!

This is the first time that I have had this occur with both hives.  I just hope that it was bad lighting and old, tired eyes!

Thanks!

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »
I hope so too!  Keep us posted...
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:53:40 am »
I have witnessed queens ramping down during the summer in some hives and some hives the queen kept right along.

Here in upper northern California we can have some pretty devastating droughts. It's my understanding that if there is no water, nectar, or pollen available the bees will tell the queen to slow way down. Makes sense to me, what is the purpose of having hundreds of children that you can't feed them. 
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:43:02 am »

Here in upper northern California we can have some pretty devastating droughts. It's my understanding that if there is no water, nectar, or pollen available the bees will tell the queen to slow way down.
That is true.  If she doesn't have many workers in the colony (think small swarm), the queen will lay only what she thinks the nurse bees can take care of.
We are past the summer equinox and some queens will slow down their egg laying.
Jen included lack of water.  Living beings have to have water.  If water sources dry up, in the summer,  the beekeeper needs to provide a temporary water solution close to the colony.  The bees use water to help cool the colony on hot days and to drink.

Offline goforlow

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 01:21:58 pm »
OK, thank you for more info.  I have lots of nectar inside the hive.  A good amount of pollen also.  Not a lot of pollen coming in at the time i was out there.  It was late in the evening, so not a normal time to bring in pollen either.   As for water, I have 2 bird baths with rocks in them just for my bees.  Both are about 25' from the hives, one north and one south.  I have never had them both dry for more than 12 -18 hours.