Author Topic: New Bee Property  (Read 7176 times)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: New Bee Property
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:00 pm »
We can send you a few sprigs of the stuff, just be sure to toss it in the compost pile when done looking at it!  :laugh: :laugh:

Ivy don't have nothing on kudzu, this stuff will completely take something over............houses, trees, barns, it shows no mercy! Have noticed in the last couple of years that the power companies are putting some kind of plastic covers on the guy wires on the power poles to keep kudzu off of the transformers.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 02:39:28 am »
I don't know what Kudzu looks like? there is a foundation of an old home place on this property and just about all the old timers had Honeysuckle vines around there home, that's what the leaves look like? I have heard that Kudzu is making it's way here, but haven't heard anyone say they have or seen it. There is also a ivy plant that climbs up trees and brick walls, but the leaves didn't look like it. What ever it is, it's tough to still have green leaves after the sub zero weather we've had. :o Jack

Here's some pictures of it.  Kudzu will eventually conquer the world.  You can literally watch it grow.  It grows 1 inch/hour.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:46 am »
Looks bad. We have something called wild cucumber that has many of the same qualities. I've never seen something grow so fast.

http://ontariowildflowers.com/main/species.php?id=1
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 07:38:50 am »
The ivy you are talking about could be Wintercreeper.  It's a type of invasive ground cover that will grow up fences, trees and buildings.  I speak from experience.  I gave up last year and started using Tordon to try to control it.
http://mdc.mo.gov/your-property/problem-plants-and-animals/invasive-plants/wintercreeper-control

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 08:44:37 am »
The only good thing about kudzu is that it makes good forage, high in nutrients. Cattle and goats will eat the snot out of it.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:35 am »
I made an appointment with the Mo. Conservation dept. to send a agent out in March to look at it and give advise on what types of trees and plants they have that would be good forage for bees? They have a big nursery that grows trees and many types of plants for different parts of Mo. that they sell 25 plants and trees for $5.00 a bundle. The agent i talk to said Kuduz has made it to some southern parts of Mo. but not this far yet, the agent said the vine is probably honeysuckle, and that we have 4 varieties of honeysuckle in Mo. and one is a invasive variety. So i'll know something in March, in the mean time i will take a soil test and have it ready to see what type of plants or trees that will work on this property.Jack