Author Topic: At what rate do the honey bees eat the 2:1 syrup on average?  (Read 8626 times)

Offline Marion

At what rate do the honey bees eat the 2:1 syrup on average?
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »
I poured a gallon of 2:1 syrup in a tray type feeder last Tuesday. I thought this would last quite a long time. I checked it 5 days later and it was bone dry. So I only had half a gallon and poured that in yesterday. This morning it was bone dry. I just poured another gallon in today and will check every day to see how long it lasts. Is this normal behavior? That's a lot of sugar and I only have 1 hive. I bought a 25 lb bag at BJ's for about $12. It is the best buy around these parts.

Offline pistolpete

Re: At what rate do the honey bees eat the 2:1 syrup on average?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »
If they have empty comb to store it, they will easily demolish a gallon/day.   If the hive is full, they only take a pint or so.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:29:31 pm »
Bee's will not be eating it, they are storing it, and with no nectar coming in the foraging force won't look for much with syrup above their heads. Gallon or so every other day would not be surprising.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Marion

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »
I started feeding them because I wanted to give them the fumagillin b with the fall feeding. It is already in the low 40s at night. In fact Thursday it is predicted to drop down to 30. It seems as though golden rod is pretty much gone by here although asters are still going on. I did not think there was much nectar out there. I can see pollen coming in. Is there a way to tell by watching the bees if nectar is coming in? 

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »
Watch the hive look for flight activity and are they bringing in pollen. Even if they are bringing in pollen that doesn't necessarily translate into nectar. Getting into the time of the year where the plants seem to decide you're either going to get one or the other but not both. And not necessarily a lot of either.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Marion

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »
Barry, that was my conclusion also. I see some pollen going in, not a lot. I thought if the bees seem heavy when they come back to the hive and drop down for a rest on the ground and then fly up and in, they probably are heavy with nectar. I see some of that action. But not as much as a week ago.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:11:33 pm »
They will quit taking it when the temp of the syrup gets down below 50 deg.  Remember when you have feed on its a 24 hour a day process moving it down into the hive. Check the hive weight when you are satisfied it is heavy enough to make it through winter without starving then cut off the syrup.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline jayj200

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »
seams your feeding every hive close by

drop the super and set dry sugar on top inside.
it maybe a little early for that method but when feeding remove honey super.

ask ideee

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:49 pm »
I started feeding them because I wanted to give them the fumagillin b with the fall feeding.
[/Marion quote]
Marion, you only need to feed the fumagillin b once. One gallon of medicated syrup will treat the bees in the hive, with their moving and storing and dehydrating it. Then they will get a second douse when they consume it as feed and to feed the new larva in the spring. The 2nd and 3rd feedings can be straight syrup. You didn't say that you continued medicating but in case you have I post this. 
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Marion

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »
Apis, I read an article from The Mid-Atlantic Apicultural Research and Extension Service found on the world Wide Beekeeping yesterday,  :-about fall management. It said to feed two gallons of medicated syrup (fumadil-B) during midfall. I originally had given them 1 gallon, so today they got a second gallon. (1 tsp dissolved in each gallon). I see what you are saying. Well, they got a double dose! :-\

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 11:24:17 pm »
Marion- " I started feeding them because I wanted to give them the fumagillin b with the fall feeding

Oh! Poo Poo!  I forgot about fumagillin, better get on that. Thanks Marion  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 11:50:44 am »
marion, you are doing just fine.  the consumption rate is pretty normal, and bees wouldn't be taking it down if they didn't need it. just make sure there are no leaks.  i have not used tray feeders, so i don't know if these can leak. 

as far as the fumagilin dosage, you have the correct dose, and i have used it in two doses in one gallon pails. from  Medivet Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Alberta, Canada website on Fumagilin-B:

Medivet Pharmaceuticals Ltd. FumigilinB

their instructions and additional info:

FUMAGILIN-B

"DOSAGE
Fall Treatment: After all honey supers have been removed, feed at following rates.

7-8 liters (2 gal) for each 2-chamber colony (approx 30,000 bees).
4 liters (1 gal) for 1-chamber colony (approx 18,000 bees)
3 liters (3/4 gal) for ea 5-frame colony (approx 8,000 bees)

Feed additional unmedicated syrup to desired colony weight for wintering."
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marion

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »
Thank you Riverbee, I did it correctly. 2 gallons for 2 chamber hive.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 06:51:25 pm »
good to go marion,  our winters here in wisconsin are sooooooooo long and with a new hive as yours i would have given them the recommended dosage. you may not have to repeat this in the spring with what you have given them.  in the future when forage is good and there are stores come fall, you might only be able to give them one dose, or a dose and a half in, one dose in is better than none, and in the spring give another dose if you think you need to.  ;)
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marion

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »
Thanks for your advice Riverbee.

I really don't know how much honey/syrup is stored in the two deeps, but I'm thinking of bringing a scale out there and weighing myself, then with a deep and seeing what the difference is. I don't want to keep feeding syrup if they don't need it. I think the best way to tell is to weigh them.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »
Your working to hard marion ;D Get on the back side of the hive and gently lift up from the bottom and tilt the hive a little bit if its heavy and feels like about 100lbs your good to go. ;) And the bees are alot happier not getting jarred around while being put on a scale
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 07:55:50 pm »
marion, you don't need a scale. on one of your warmer upcoming days above 60 degrees, check the frames in both deeps especially in the second deep.  if you are not really comfortable going into the first deep, you can lift the the second deep off first without inspection and set it aside and check only the outside frames in the first deep, these should be full, then place the second deep back on and check the frames in the 2nd deep.  if you can't lift the second deep off, this is probably a good sign.  you want these full, and if there are some center frames that are not quite full this is fine.  bees need the empty spaces to move up into.  don't scrape off any burr comb between the frames of the 1st and 2nd deep, this is 'ladder comb' and will enable them to move upwards more easily during winter months.  overall, it is the weight that you need in the hive.  if you cannot lift the hive from the 'grips' from the bottom deep, the hive is heavy.  but i am thinking you still have time to check what is in the frames in your second deep.  i would feed them until i can no longer lift the hive like rat said.   ;)

hope this makes sense?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:58 pm »
Thanks for your advice Riverbee.

I really don't know how much honey/syrup is stored in the two deeps, but I'm thinking of bringing a scale out there and weighing myself, then with a deep and seeing what the difference is. I don't want to keep feeding syrup if they don't need it. I think the best way to tell is to weigh them.

If you can't lift it, you're probably in good shape.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Marion

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:24 pm »
OK, I have looked in the second deep and all frames look pretty full. I will try to pick up each deep and see how they feel.