Author Topic: A Beekeeping Suit (sort of) Story  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
A Beekeeping Suit (sort of) Story
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »
I heard a story today about a beekeeper that is a fireman.  He teaches at a fire school where they train firemen and hazmat and stuff.  He thought he'd be smart and borrow a Class A Hazmat suit for his beekeeping instead of buying a beekeeping suit.

I think his wife may have helped him get into it.  But after a little while of working his hives, he realized that there's no ventilation and he's totally enclosed in a plastic suit.  He was getting hot, and couldn't get the zipper open.  His wife finally ended up cutting the suit open with a knife to get him out.  Those suits cost $1000+.  I think he learned a lesson.  I don't know if he had to pay for the suit or not.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: A Beekeeping Suit (sort of) Story
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »
 :laugh:

Nobody said beekeepers were smart! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, wait a minute...................
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:54 pm »
 :eusa_doh:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
"Nobody said beekeepers were smart! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:"

"He was getting hot, and couldn't get the zipper open.  His wife finally ended up cutting the suit open with a knife to get him out.  Those suits cost $1000+"

perry, it's the other way around. fire folks equipped with hazmat suits aren't too smart when it comes to thinking they can use it as a beekeeping suit..... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:46:26 am »
My training in hazmat has caused me to be suited up in a Class A hazmat suit on occasion.  Note, I said training as I have never worked a hazmat situation.  I can't imagine how anyone thought they could work bees in such a suit.  Also, a hazmat suit has to be cleaned after each use, and it is an expensive cleaning, and lastly, those suits are only to be worn for 30 minutes at a time by a trained professional.  Longer use than that increases the danger of HEAT EXHAUSTION.  This was not a well thought out plan.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:30:46 am »
Very innovative.  I would take it a step further and get a small 110 air conditioner and small generator on a wagon  hooked to the suit and have the little wifey pull it around while I worked hives.  Problem solved  :laugh:
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 09:36:06 am »
This was not a well thought out plan.

You're right.  But some folks are penny wise and pound foolish.   :eusa_doh:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:50:49 am »
When on the rescue and salvage truck (spent 8 yrs. on it) for the Springfield, Mo. Fire Dept. my partners and i  was called out on a fluid leaking out of a semi trailer truck. We were suiting up to go in when the Bat. Chef noticed a placard (USA Gov.) he called to check it out and was told a team would be on it's way and for us not to enter, To make a long story short, when the team got there and entered in what looked like space suits to  stop the leak and clean the mess off the street, there leader told us it was a good thing we didn't enter with our hazmat suits, that the leaking liquid would have ate our suits like it was candy. :o You never Know??? Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »
When on the rescue and salvage truck (spent 8 yrs. on it) for the Springfield, Mo. Fire Dept. my partners and i  was called out on a fluid leaking out of a semi trailer truck. We were suiting up to go in when the Bat. Chef noticed a placard (USA Gov.) he called to check it out and was told a team would be on it's way and for us not to enter, To make a long story short, when the team got there and entered in what looked like space suits to  stop the leak and clean the mess off the street, there leader told us it was a good thing we didn't enter with our hazmat suits, that the leaking liquid would have ate our suits like it was candy. :o You never Know??? Jack

Knowing what you're dealing with is very important.  There are books and lists that tell what the hazards for each compound is.  Protective equipment/first aid/etc., is dependent on what you're dealing with.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hazardous-materials/hazardous-materials-emergency-response-guidebook
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs