Author Topic: Helping a newbee get started  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Helping a newbee get started
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:00:16 pm »
One of my sting clients is interested in starting his own hive, I told him I would be delighted to help him. I had a rough start three years ago with casualties, but I learned a lot. What I need is to do this help him with his first hive the easiest and most productive way so that both he and I are successful. What is the first thing that needs to be done to start a hive? then the second, then the third... thanks guys :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
Re: Helping a newbee get started
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
I think one thing a new beekeeper should do is read, read, and then re-read. There are several good books on the market and, my opinion, if a new beekeeper is familiar with the tutorials, when it comes time to work with a veteran beekeeper everything will make a lot more sense.

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »
First, plan to start with 2, not 1 hive.
Second, join the local bee club and this forum.
Third, order 2 complete hives and 2 packages or nucs.
Fourth, read everything he can read on the internet, in the library, or anywhere else.
Fifth, talk to as many beekeepers as possible.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »
Read, read, read. Join the forum.
Order some catalogs from bee supply companies also, might just be me but catalogs give descriptions and pictures to associate things to. Really helps me to see how things go together and work.
Keep reading!
Now is the time to get their hives put together and painted up, another hands on project.
Keep reading.
Find a bee club to join, usually before spring they start teaching spring techniques. They are lucky enough to have someone like you close by also Jaybird, just think of the head start you have on them.
Re-read what you just read.
Find some place to order packages or nucs from, inquire, might find a couple of places, compare. Ask questions.
Hopefully you are still reading and by now posting on the forum.

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Zookeep

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:33:03 pm »
everything Iddee said but like to add it always helps to be in say your hives with you for a bit to get the feel before starting, in case he or she finds they don't like it as much as they thought.
Springs a week
Falls a Rumor
Winters 2 weeks
the rest is all Summer

[size=150] BeachBum Beekeeper Division[/size]

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »
Nice posts you guys, I'm just gonna print off this whole thread and give it to him to start.

My initial experience was this:
My acupunturist said 'We have a bee venom therapist in the office now! arthritis goes away instantly!'
I was curious because of achy wrists and neck from being a massage therapist.
Made an appointment with bvt therapist and she put a bee on one wrist so I could compare the two and I went home.
I went back and got a sting on both wrists. Amazed! Guess I need to have my own bees.
The very next day I went to the farmers market and found the local honey farmer, he had a single hive set up and ready for me the next day.
I put the hive in my backyard, and stared at it....  scratching head.... staring more

That's when I started reading frantically, and had no forum. Put the horse before the cart. Learned from a few casualties as I mentioned. winter starvation, AFB, robbing, swarming that I didn't understand, mites caught almost too late. Geez!

But Still! It's the most interesting hobby I have ever had!
There Is Peace In The Queendom