Author Topic: First swarm today  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Lastfling

First swarm today
« on: April 07, 2019, 04:31:13 pm »
I went out back door about 3 and heard a roar.  I looked closer and saw a pile of bees swirling around a wild cherry tree about 30’ from the hive and about 10 or so feet up.  I set up a box at base of tree got my step ladder and a bucket and shook as many as I could into it, then dumping them into the hive.  Now whether I got the queen or not , remains to be seen.  So far they’re staying in the box which is on the ground at tree base.  I plan on moving it to a stand tonight.  As this is the first time I’ve attempted this, fingers crossed.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: First swarm today
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 04:33:58 pm »
It's 4:30. If they are in the box now, you got the queen. If she doesn't leave, you've got another hive.
Congrats
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 05:20:44 pm »
Congrads,  I wouldn't move them tonight , there is bee's on the ground let'em get in hive tonight. If it was a big swarm.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 05:37:45 pm »
Lots of bee's on the ground after shake. Guessing that's why alot use a white bed sheet under ?

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 07:26:37 pm »
Lots of bee's on the ground after shake. Guessing that's why alot use a white bed sheet under ?
That would probably have been good idea although brush would present a problem.  The swarm wasn’t more than a few pounds and after looking a few minutes ago I don’t believe they were satisfied with the accommodations and/or I didn’t get the queen. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Newbee

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 07:51:49 pm »
I had my first 'attempt' at capturing a swarm this weekend myself! Bucket system worked best for me as well.
Unfortunately I don't know if I got the queen in there or not, either. When I checked on them this morning they did not respond to a 'rap' on the side of the hive like my other one does. However if I put my ear up to the thing and listened closely, there was a subtle hum. Shrug, time will tell I guess! Hope it works out for both of us!

- K

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
Well, I checked again this morning and nobody was home.  There were maybe 5 bees in the box.  I never saw them leave last evening, so no telling where they went.  Not my two swarm traps that’s for sure.  On the plus side, the two Nucs I made 3/28, before the cold snap, appear to have pulled through with both showing considerable activity.  I had my doubts for a few days.  Both were bringing in pollen today.  I added a quart of syrup to each using ziploc baggies on top of frames and will continue to hold breath they make a Queen.  I probably should have checked but it was cloudy and bees were a little on testy side.  If my math’s correct this is day 13 since they were made up.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 03:52:29 pm »
  Both were bringing in pollen today.  I added a quart of syrup to each using ziploc baggies on top of frames and will continue to hold breath   If my math’s correct this is day 13 since they were made up.

It takes 16 days for a queen to emerge counting from the day the egg was laid.  I presume you are letting them rear their own queens and that the eggs were no more than 2 days old.
Pollen is a very good sign that they are preparing for brood.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
WOW, was able to see this today

The following users thanked this post: Lburou

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 05:19:50 pm »
  Both were bringing in pollen today.  I added a quart of syrup to each using ziploc baggies on top of frames and will continue to hold breath   If my math’s correct this is day 13 since they were made up.

It takes 16 days for a queen to emerge counting from the day the egg was laid.  I presume you are letting them rear their own queens and that the eggs were no more than 2 days old.
Pollen is a very good sign that they are preparing for brood.
Yes I was wanting them to make their own queen.  I can not vouch for two days old or not.  There were eggs on the frame along with larvae in various stages and brood.    I had originally wanted to move the queen but after going thru two deeps and not being able to find her I settled for eggs.  That and the hundred or so bees in my face saying enough is enough!  LOL

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:48:23 pm »

I've given swarms a frame of honey, a frame of pollen, a frame of brood, some comb for the queen to lay in, a few drops of lemon grass oil, & still had an empty box the next morning. so now I still do all of the above & then I lock them down for 2-3 days. any stragglers will hang on the outside of the box. haven't lost one since.

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:46:12 am »
I’ll have to try that the next time the opportunity presents itself.  Thanks

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 09:23:38 am »
This is a great time of year if you are a beekeeper!

I got a call for this smallish swarm...brought a new beekeeper and let him vacuum it (this will be his first hive).  I put two brood frames in with frames of foundation and a frame feeder. Brood frames are very attractive to swarms. A couple squirts of swarm commander helped the bees find the entrance, (I left the hive on a table next to the tree until dusk and took them home).  Homeowner reported there were no remaining bees the next day.

In five days the swarm had taken 2.5 quarts of sugar syrup and began comb on four frames.  The queen had laid in two frames, there was larva. There is a good nectar flow on now.

Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:13 pm »
I caught a medium size swarm Monday and delivered it to a new beek this morning. She was wearing a BIG smile when I left.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:41 pm »
last year I posted how a friend with a limited budget wanted to keep bees & had had a swarm land on a boulder in his back yard 3 of the past 5 years. I set him up with a swarm trap right about this time of year. he called mother's day morning near screaming into his phone " I HAVES BEES!!" I then set up with a double deep hive for cheap. I've been guiding him here & there & the hive made it thru the winter. this coming weekend we're setting up another trap.