Author Topic: First look  (Read 9152 times)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
First look
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:57:22 pm »
well I took a look inside my hives today. didn't really expect much I wasn't disappointed. the bees are bringing in pollen. they do have capped honey, not a lot. and they are working over the feed. a lot of capped and emerging brood. what I didn't see is eggs and larvae, I blame that on lack of space. the 5 medium frames between stored nectar, pollen and emerging brood is pretty much used up. there is a little extra space. The bees are starting to work on the deep frames alittle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Barbarian

Re: First look
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:28:50 pm »
No sign of eggs and larvae. Entrance fanning at one of your nucs. A little alarm bell is ringing.

Anybody else thinking my way ?  Maybe I should go back on the anti-misery pills.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:54 pm »
lol my first thought since is both, the have run out of space, between nectar, feeding and quite a bit of capped or emerging brood. Over a week ago when I installed then there was all stages of brood. They are thinking about starting to draw out full depth, but not really enough bees yet within a week there will be alot more bees in both. mediums really don't provide enough space.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:50:37 pm by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:49:55 am »
Over the next few days, I would watch the hive entrances. I would be looking for normal hive activity such as pollen coming in and bees going out foraging. If I saw fanning again, I would stay put and hope to see a queen returning from a mating flight.

A week or so after after the last inspection I would make another quick inspection. I would be looking for eggs, larvae and purposeful activity by the house bees. The big ding-dong to my alarm would be the absence of eggs.

In such a case the supplier may be at fault. It would point to the nuc being made up of frames of brood and added bees with a virgin or non-laying queen added. In such a set-up the queen could take several weeks to start laying.

If the queen is not laying there are one or two dodges to encourage her.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:59:54 am »
I would place an empty frame between the brood frames and the pollen frames on each side.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »
the bees are actively bringing in pollen, and really working over the feed, is 74 degrees outside, so fanning is not really an issue, they are not scenting they are fanning. I will probably have a look in the hive Sunday or Monday. a lot of that capped brood should have emerged by then. Iddee, I have no drawn frames, only foundation

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:24:53 pm by barry42001 »

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:03:21 pm »
Interesting information here, keep us posted
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:24:00 pm »
oh I sure will, I'm really quite interesting to see how this works out it also firm up my decisions about mediums lol

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:18 pm »
Very nice! If my hive doesn't swarm before I split I'll be working on going all mediums as well.

And how many frames do you put onto your mediums?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:25 pm »
I just checked 2 hives. One had 7 frames of bees, brood, and honey. 3 frames of foundation. I moved foundation frames in to between the brood and their pollen.

A foundation frame is an empty frame, same as a drawn comb frame. It will be drawn comb shortly. My hives are drawing comb and bringing in nectar, and have capped drone cells here in NC. I'm sure your Florida bees are even farther along.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:01:06 pm »
well Jen, currently there are 5 frames of medium in each of the nucs, which are in standard deep brood chambers. I probably will put the foundation in between the brood I wanted to see them working on the one side or the other of the foundation before I did anything like that. I hope I'm up in a day or so and do exactly that. there might be a weight advantage in using medium supers, the disadvantages you need twice as many to accomplish the same thing the supers accomplish, a full depth words amber will weigh more than a medium yes, for that most you'll need two of them, whereas you'll need three to four of the others to get the same amount of brood space. my only real decision is in my somewhat impaired state, will I be able to manage deep supers of honey.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:47 pm »
I hauled deep supers about when i was younger, so when it came time to get my own hives I figured going all deeps would be no big deal, until I started lifting them..  I am fully capable of lifting them, but the memories didnt match the reality. I know that eventually I will no longer be capable.. so rather than worry about changing in a few years, I changed right away.
  You need 1/3 more boxes, not twice as many, or twice as much equipment. One extra box per hive..  granted, if you have 50 hives that does add up to a lot of extra cost. I can't argue that having about 112 medium boxes in my back room.. deeps would have meant about 30 less boxes.. the advantage is in having all of my equipment the same size. As scatter brained as I am I have a hard enough time remembering my hive tool, much less which frames I need for which hives and boxes, so all mediums adds up to be a real advantage for me.
   With two hives, an extra box for each hive is a pretty negligible cost.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 05:37:49 pm »
112 mediums... It would be about 36 fewer deeps, and 360 fewer frames to buy and assemble.

I am 68, bad back for over 50 of those years, had 3 heart attacks, and have arthritis over most of my body. I still use deeps, but I don't have dementia. I am still smart enough to not lift and carry a full deep.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:33:00 pm »
lol Iddee, I have my hives where is a short walk to and from the truck. Lazybkr, if your using all deeps, still all the same, I am of the belief that if you take it easy on yourself to often taking it easy is all you will be able to do. So I will make myself do the heavier lifting because I still can.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:55:00 pm by barry42001 »

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 07:25:34 pm »
Barry- ""Lazybkr, if your using all deeps, still all the same, I am of the belief that if you take it easy on yourself to often taking it easy is all you will be able to do. So I will make myself do the heavier lifting because I still can""

Hey Barry  :)  See, I've done far too much repair work on peoples bodies to agree with that. Our backs are not as capable as you may think. Our necks don't have enough muscle to hold up a 5 pound head, they Used To Be strong enough when we were still walking around on our knuckles. And our lower backs don't have enough abominal strength to support the lower back.... Unless, your doing some mighty gym work outs.

I would like to pride myself in staying strong enough to do my own hive lifting at 90 years old. Is that too high of an expectation?.. Nope  :) it's doable if you've learned easier ways of lifting without using the back for the heavy stuff. The muscles in your bootie and legs are much bigger and more capable of lifting that all of the muscles in your back combined.

Okay, I'm off my box now.  ;) 8)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 07:38:12 pm »
lol, I have 2 herniated discs L-4/5 & ,L-5/S-1 80 - 90 percent desiccated. so yeah I know about back issues. well no one can help me with any certainty how that happened, I'm fairly certain it didn't happen carrying hive supers. that is the problem when you live an active hard life but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to just stop. I've always taking pride in my physical capacities, I am so aware that as I get older I will have diminished capacity, but I will do nothing except with that accelerates process through inaction. I am hardcore
I  know,, some would say stupid. so be it I'm stupid, but at least I know that until I have to stop I will still be able to work the way I want to...

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:25 pm »
Barry- thumbs up on being able to do what we want in our own way ~ I have lower back issues as well, bee stings Rock!  ;) 8)

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »
lol indeed.....

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »
never tried bee stings for pain relief, maybe I should try:D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:19 pm »
I can still carry 200 lb brand new railroad ties, so it isnt a matter of capability. Because you can do something dosnt mean you should.. thats why I disposed of the rest of the railroad ties to whoever I could pawn them off on after I finished the steps.. and the driveway edging.. and the flower bed......
   I have a bad ankle, I have to wear a GOOD tight boot to keep it from cracking with every step. A bad hip, and I have bad joints in knees and wrists. I was told they are plum wore out.  If I could go back and do it all over again, I would try to work a little smarter.. 
   I have no arguments with anyone who wants to use deeps, by golly go for it!
   I do have an argument that pushing yourself will mean you will be capable of doing it longer. Your joints have limited uses. Choose wisely!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*